21 November 2017 11:34:28 PST (GMT -8)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
sonoranbiker
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

So we just bought my wife her second new (used) bike in less than a year, as she is progressing fast. We started off with an old Santa Cruz Juliana, and just bought a used BMC Speedfox. the Speedfox came with skinny little XC tires (FireXC 2.1... they looked like cyclocross tires).

Mike at ABE recommended the Trail King 2.4. It seems like a nice beefy tire, and when I mounted it up it's HUGE! I personally love big tires, and moutnt he biggest thing I can possibly find on my RIP 9. Any downsides I should think about with a big tire? For those who have used the Trail Kings, so they roll OK? I typically think that the ability to roll with low PSI and good float/grip outweighs any penalty from rolling resistance, but want to see what others think.

Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

i think there awesome im more of a dh person and never had them fail me once. a did awesome at Somo anglefire and Nra im on my second pair do to tread loss

thudd
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think weight is really the only downside if you're running chunky stuff and the washes. The skinny tires are good for the groomed. You could probably go a little skinnier in the back to save weight if that becomes a concern. Contis tend to be pretty light for there size and durability. good tire, imo

suvlako
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just swapped over to them after destroying three Purgatory's in three weeks. I Love the BUtcher and Purgs but I think Spec might have a production problem they are not acknowledging. I blew holes right through the top of them(Not the Sidewalls) and both Gwin and Troy Brosnan had failures during race runs at WC. TB had two in one day.

Anywho... The Trail kings are nice. They roll pretty damn good for a big aggressive tire and they hook up nicely. Super happy with them. As for the weight, as my wife always tells me, you can't buy your way out of fitness. Very Happy

TORCA (Tucson Off-road Cyclists and Activists)
FREE HIGH FIVES since 2013. 
sonoranbiker
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I liked the tread on the Purgatory, but shredded them way too fast. Social workers like me can't afford to be buying new tires all the time.

The TK's actually seem pretty reasonable weight-wise for the size. Interestingly, I bought a Mountain King II 2.2 for the back, and it seemed really small for the stated size. Gonna return it for another TH for the back.

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I love TKs' roll and grip, but have had qc issues - the internal threads will tear, making the carcass go out of true, and the sidewall will tear right where the sidewall meets the bead.
I've had it happen on quite a few tires in the past year or so, but I keep buying them 'cause they roll and grip so damned well.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

fbmdrz wrote:
I love TKs' roll and grip, but have had qc issues - the internal threads will tear, making the carcass go out of true, and the sidewall will tear right where the sidewall meets the bead.
I've had it happen on quite a few tires in the past year or so, but I keep buying them 'cause they roll and grip so damned well.

This happens to me too, don't be surprised if the wheel looks out of true, it is most likely the tire. They'll keep kicking though! High volume, sticky compound, and tough sidewalls, what more could you want?

ejbluth
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I tire that doesn't turn to shit when you crash or hit a rock square. I've been through my fair share of Mountain Kings. 5 in 10 months and won't go back.

High Roller 2s are the shit.

AchrisK
Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been riding a Trail King with Protection sidewalls since Nov. 8. I have put 116 Tucson trail miles on it (including 13 at Casa Grande and 0 at Fantasy Island). The knobs started getting torn up right away. Today at Starr Pass, when it went flat, I noticed it has a side knob ripped off, and now it has a leak in the sidewall. I am not impressed. I was hoping it would be a tire that could stand up to Tucson trails.

suvlako
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think I am done with the TK. I keep blowing holes through the top. I guess I need to pick better lines. One thing about the Spec tires is that the warranty is a no nonsense, no BS return policy. Think I am going bakc to Spec although youngblood got my attention with high rollers. Eric, are they heavy?

TORCA (Tucson Off-road Cyclists and Activists)
FREE HIGH FIVES since 2013. 
rec32
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was in the market for a new brand of tires after Spesh discontinued their Purgatory line. I have been riding Geax Goma's TNT, 2.4s and won't change again. I definitely recommend if you like to ride the nasty trails.

Plus, you can get them for bout $40 each @ AZ Cyclist with a TORCA discount .

ejbluth
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think the HR II are heavy. I see a lot of pictures with people riding them on Pinkbike 2 for the bike checks too.

JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been rideing so long my XC bike wont accept more than a 1.95 the carbon break booster rubs. I saw a few people with big huge tires and from what I've read it's fine on the Front but not beneficial on the rear. I like 2.3 on the front and 2.0 on the rear.

Avistar
Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JodyM2 wrote:
I've been rideing so long my XC bike wont accept more than a 1.95 the carbon break booster rubs. I saw a few people with big huge tires and from what I've read it's fine on the Front but not beneficial on the rear. I like 2.3 on the front and 2.0 on the rear.
That's my set up 2.35 front 2.1 on the rear both the Kenda nevegals the 2.35 on the front is the sticky E. they wear kinda fast but worth it.

View next topic
View previous topic