23 September 2017 07:29:14 PDT (GMT -7)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
wurensh
Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The following is an update regarding trail access to the Honeybee Canyon/Tortolita Mountain Preserve Trails via Utility Easement on North Rancho Vistoso Boulevard – adjacent to the east of Quiet Rain Drive.

This update is based on telephone conversations will with Oro Valley Police Department Sgt. Kranz (on 3/17/15), and with Oro Valley Director of Parks and Recreation, Kristy Diaz-Trahan (on 3/18/15)

THE SHORT OF IT:
• The utility easement/access trail (entrance located between Greenspan Place and Quiet Rain Drive), while privately held property, was granted as public access to the Town of Oro Valley in the 1960s and remains as such.
• While open to hikers, mountain bikers, etc., This easement is CLOSED FOR MOTOR VEHICLE USE (except by utility company) - including parking in the small area adjacent to Quiet Rain Drive, at the entrance to Honeybee Canyon Estates – DO NOT PARK HERE, OR ACCESS ASLD Land (if you want to drive in, use Rail X Road from Catalina). The HOA will be installing a gate to further restrict vehicles.
• DO NOT use the alternative access through the culvert off of Alamo Canyon Drive (the neighborhood street across from Sun City Blvd. from Mountain View Plaza) - while this has not been a problem until now, increased usage has raised a flag with that homeowners Association, and the access has been signed ”No Trespassing”. Please respect their request.
• Preferred public parking is at Mountain View Plaza, at the intersection of Rancho Vistoso Blvd. and Sun City Blvd. (Bank, OVPD Substation, Etc.). – Access the easement by riding your bike/walking west on Rancho Vistoso Blvd, and entering adjacent to the gates at Quiet Rain Drive (do not go through community security gates – trail starts up the dirt hill to the right of the gates)
• Alternative parking at Honeybee Canyon Park, approximately 1/3 mile to the west - however, please be respectful of leaving enough parking for hikers visiting that Park.
• Remember the land north of the current gated fence-line is Arizona State Trust Land – if you are using it, you should have an ASLD Permit
https://land.az.gov/natural-resources/recreational-permits

If you see any suspicious behavior, please contact 911 and request to be connected with the Oro Valley Police Department (there have been reports of items such as broken PVC imbedded in the trail, improvised wire fencing across the easement, videotaping of law-abiding citizens in order to harass them). These occurrences need to be documented.

PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL OF THIS ACCESS – IF YOU SEE OTHERS NOT FOLLOWING THE ABOVE, GENTLY CORRECT THEM.

erict
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The gate is up! Saw that coming...

bigworm
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah they actually added in 2 gates. One right at the entrance and one down the powerline where we already had to go around the barb wire gate. Seems like it will help stop the main problem they were having with the cars.

https://www.facebook.com/TucsonTORCA

And look at my pics http://pedalpics.blogspot.com/ 
wurensh
Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed. Vehicles were the problem. Also understand the little Strava-cut up the hillside from the sidewalk just at the entrance has been filled in. Let's keep with the wishes to keep this closed, and just take the extra 15 seconds to go around the corner Wink

erict
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Now if we can get bikers off the sidewalk on their way back to the plaza. The other day there was a group of 6-8 bikers riding on the sidewalk as people were walking/strolling along.

JayD
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Why didn't you politely correct them?

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

as I said there were 6-8. I was actually driving by. Does that answer your question or are you being whitty?

wurensh
Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Good thing Marana Police don't patrol the area Wink

JayD
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

Your post did not indicate that you were driving. It does help me understand why you were not able to educate them.

I'm not sure why you seem to hate everyone that rides these trails. I'm sure you are a pleasant guy in person but on this forum you are typically pretty grumpy.

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Now, now, JayD. Let's not get over our heads here. Hate is such a strong word. I just don't get the level of rudeness that exists by some riders of said trails. I've kindly pointed them out to those that have had a run in with me. As for grumpy...maybe more of a curmudgeon when it comes to these trails. I've watched how these trails have simply been beaten to shit by riders. Lines in all directions, trail altering, garbage, ie tires,etc left out. The mentioned hop up on a very slight incline that got your attention. You understand. Please save the personal commentary for conversations in private. And yes I actually am a pleasant person in person. Thanks, I hope to see ya out there...

View next topic
View previous topic