22 November 2017 03:10:27 PST (GMT -8)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just got a Specialized Purgatory Grid 26 X 2.3 I really like this Tire for our riding around Tucson it's very grippe but still rolls fast. I hear we need to use the Grid Side wall for the rocks out here around Tucson. The GRID is extra thick side wall. 730 Grams so they are pretty light for an aggressive wide tire with reinforced side wall. I've seen a few bikes around with what I think is a sensible set up of Purgatory 2.3 Front mated with a Ground Control Grid rear(Fast Rolling). I'm using a 2.3 rear now but I'll use a 2.1 soon and I got a couple of Captain Controls to use for the back tire. The Control casting is not strong enough for use on the rocks of Sweet Water I already sliced one of my Captains side walls on the 3rd ride at sweet water. The Price of the tires with GRID side walls went up again this year to $65.00 I've been buying last years tires for cheaper, if you can find them. The Purgatory is the most aggressive XC Tire that Specialized makes. The more aggressive Butcher Tire is not as fast rolling as the Purgatory and Heaver it's classified as an All Mountain tire. It also comes in a DH Casting that has 2X Side walls even thicker than the GRID side walls. I prefer the Fast Rolling light Purgatory though as I have a Trail bike not an enduro.

So what is your Favorite Tire Set up for Tucson's Loose over Hardpack?

Last edited by JodyM2 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:17 am; edited 3 times in total
mlemen
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

You're going down to 2.1 in the front? You might hate all the sand we have in Tucson with that skinny tire...

I'm currently running High Rollers 2.3 on my Liv Intrigue & Nobby Nic evo tlr 2.3 on my Lust. The Intrigue is a 5.5in travel AM type bike & the Lust is a 4in XC ride. Both have 27.5 wheels. Awesome rides.

JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

2.3 Purgatory Front, 2.1 Ground Control on Rear or 2.0 Captain Control that's what my 2011 Stumpjumper came with except Front was a 2.2 S-Works casting.

bigworm
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Specialized tires suck ballz. I have tried all those and none of them hook up well or last very long. One Spez tired I had didn't even last 9 miles. Even with their warranty I wont buy them anymore. They are just not good IMO for aggressive riding in Tucson.

Like the Maxxis highroller a lot and the Kenda Small block 8.

Best tire ever made though is the Panaracer Rampage. They are cheap, durable, and hook up amazing.

https://www.facebook.com/TucsonTORCA

And look at my pics http://pedalpics.blogspot.com/ 
JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yea I guess my selections are for Trail Riding but I think the New Purgatory hooked up on Mt. Lemon. But I guess it's all down to Personal Opinion. My favorite tires were Contintial Baja 1.95 so I'm use to light weight tires. The reason I like Specialized Tires is they have a range of tires from Fast rolling to Grippe. With different side walls so it seems really easy to dial in what your looking for. I've never even felt Specialized's Grippe Tires like the Butcher I want a faster rolling tire for climbing. I've seen lots of Butcher tires in the hills, that would be a fun tire to try.

Strunkbro
Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just put a butcher on the other day and mounted it ghetto tubeless. Tire sealed up great much easier then my trail kings. It also survived its first ride in the torts. So far Im happy

JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Did the Butcher Hook up?
Did it have noticeable rolling resistance?
What rear tire are you running with it?

Specialized made the 1st Mt. Bike Tires the Stumpjumper back in '77.

Strunkbro
Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

I only have one ride on the butcher but it did well, traction was good. I'm running the butcher in the rear. I don't know if there was more or less rolling resistance. Its not something I am to worried about.

Duracel
Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

I used to run Purgatory 2.4 grid up front and the Captain grid out rear in Tucson and it worked fine. Many times I rode Purgatory 2.2 rear and 2.4 front, both grid, and that also worked. Any chance at goin with a thinner sidewall and they would just SHRED.

Now I'm on High Roller 2 EXO in the 27.5x2.3 F/R and it's perfect so far.

I hear GREAT things about the performance of Schwalbe, but also that they don't last long. Great performance, short lifespan, high price tag.

What's the scoop on the Vigilante Team? Anyone?

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have had great luck here with the Grid 2BR. Usually Butcher/Purgatory. I rode a 29er with Ikons at the new Sweetwater trails and really liked them. Was thinking 27.5 Ardent 2.4 up front and a High Roller out back. ANy thoughts on that combo out here? Maybe a different Maxxis combo I'm overlooking?

THX

Duracel
Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

I just thumbed through a few reviews and it sounds like the HRII is more popular up front than the Ardent, bc you can push it farther before it gives to sliding on "loose over hardpack" terrain.

It sounds like the Ardent and Ikon are solid rear tires to pair with the HRII front, depending on muddy vs dry trails. Of course the Ikon is waaaay less agressive, but faster rolling.

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

http://reviews.mtbr.com/tech-talk-front-and-rear-mtb-tire-combinations

View next topic
View previous topic