19 September 2017 04:35:56 PDT (GMT -7)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was just plodding up Upper Javelina from the Golf Club this morning, got up to switchback 9 and 10, and suddenly had a bee in my face... then another... then another... then a whole bunch more. I was off the bike and running like f**k up the hill, flailing with my hands as they buzzed around, trying to rip off my headband that had some in there, and pulling thru my hair at the same time as some had gotten tangled up in there too. At the same time I was trying not to breathe because apparently the little bastards are attracted by CO2 emissions in your breath, and that's why they follow you. I think that must be correct, 'cause I made it up to the saddle and they didn't follow. You try running in panic with your bike up a steep hill with a pack and pads on, and not breathing! Not fun... Anyhoo, when I got my breath back, I had been stung 3 or 4 times on my forehead, couple of times on my fingers, and once or twice on my leg. I've never been stung by a bee before, so did not know if I was allergic or not, so I thought I better get down off the hill asap. Unfortunately, the quickest way down was back thru the bees, because I had run up the friggin hill instead of down! I had sacrificed my bee-laden Buff headband when I threw it down in panic, but I had a spare. I covered most of my face & head, put on my helmet and glasses, stretched my G-Forms up and down my arms and legs as much as possible, then bombed back thru the swarm. The little swine didn't know what hit 'em! I think I may have exacted some impact-reticulatory retribution for the stings I got, and I got back down unscathed.
A few conclusions:
- If you're going up UJ soon, wear a beekeeper suit.
- Hold yer breath if attacked by bees and you forgot the beekeeper suit.
- If you find my Buff up there, please let me know!
- Make sure you have good tweezers to remove stings if the worst happens.

Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nutz dude! Glad you made it out of there ok.

View next topic
View previous topic