23 September 2017 07:25:01 PDT (GMT -7)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Xtremeamput
Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in town for the Amputee Coalition of America conference. Rented a Trek full-sus and looking for someone to show me around. I brought my night lights too. Here through Saturday morning, but have to return the bike Friday by 6. Staying at Marriot @ Star Pass
Someone hook me up!

Xtremeamput
Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Come on guys! I know you're out there! Surely someone wants to ride with a one-legged guy from OKC???

By the way,... you don't have to feel like I'd slow you down.... I race CAT2 in Texas/Oklahoma and have been riding a long time.

Maybe at least shoot over some suggestions. I'm riding Starr Pass in the morning.

Evil_Patrick
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Even though I live very close to Starr Pass, I won't be riding in that area as I already have plans for Mount Lemmon rides this weekend. The trails up there are not only loaded with big swings of vertical, but also loaded with BD chunk. I ride all over the country and trust me, there is more technical riding in the Tucson area than most of the bucket list destinations outside of Tucson. Most of my favorite routes in the Tucson area include really technically challenging sections.

The top of Mt Lemmon is about 1.5 hrs away from the resort.

If you can't find a guide, and you're not directionally challenged, and you're not adverse to riding by yourself, load up more water than you think you could ever drink (I go through 116 ounces in 3 hrs in the desert) and head on out from the resort on the Bowen trail. From there, the world is your oyster.

Beware that the official trail maps of Tucson Mountain Park do not show all the trails and there are many more trails out there than what they do show, and the official trails have little to no signage. You'll need a good sense of direction and the ability to retrace your route, if needed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/patrel

http://www.reverbnation.com/kaleidoscopesundae

http://soundcloud.com/patrick-shannon-mckiernan

One bag of quikcrete at a time 
JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm scheduled to ride on the west side this evening my riding partner lives near Star Pass we meet at 5:30. We usually go for 2 hours or so. We could do Sweetwater, Starr Pass or Robles. Last time we rode from Starr Pass South to Robles over the Cat Mt. Trail. Your Officially Invited !

Check this out to learn about all the wonderful trails we have around Tucson.
http://www.sdmb.org/trails/

Check out the Bowen Stone House if you start out on the Bowen Trail.

Last edited by JodyM2 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Xtremeamput
Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the info, Evil_Pat.

I'm suited up, ready to go, but it won't.stop.raining..... Gonna ride some Starr Pass this morning.

JodyM2, is that an invite? Couldn't tell.

Evil_Patrick
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

There are 2 trails that enter TMP literally right across the street from the resort; The Bowen Trail and Hidden Canyon Trail. You can see both of these on Google Maps.

The Bowen Trail is a sample of an intermediate trail for TMP. Hidden Canyon is advanced and the North/South piece of it (that connects back to Bowen) is actually what I’d call Black Diamond (BD) as far as being a section that you can stay on the bike and ride.

Both trails can be ridden both directions, though I’ll honestly state that I have never fully cleaned the North/South section of Hidden Canyon as a climb. Close, but no cigar.

In any event, these can serve as an introduction to Tucson-area riding. If you take the Bowen trail to the Yetman trail (and head SW) through the Bowen stone house, and climb to the saddle, continue on the most beaten path, which will drop you down to a rickety old wooden sign. Head South, continuing on the Yetman trail.When given choices, stay to the right. You’ll soon be heading North West, staying on the Yetman trail. Continue on the most beaten path and take left turns. You’ll go over another gentle saddle, descend to a point where the trail is Jeep Road wide, re-enter a ST section, and soon find yourself popping out on another old dead Jeep Road. Stay left and follow this wide section.

Pop over a “goal post” and stay left. Back on Jeep Road now, look closely for a couple of very close together, sawed off telephone poles that provide an opening through the fence you’ve been riding beside (on your left). Squeeze through these posts. Stay left at the next intersection. Gentle climb through the pass with a rock squeeze.

When you top out, continuing straight will take you back to the Yetman trail. BUT, taking the ST at that top-out will put you on Cat Mountain, which is a fabulous trail if you’re looking for more technical challenges. If you take Cat Mountain, at the next intersection (on the back side, after a good descent), go left.

Climb another saddle, descend its backside. At the next intersection, go left. Pop out on a paved, private road. Go left (it’ll look like straight ahead). Crest a small rise in the road. On the down slope / backside, in about 100 yds, look for a trail that shoots off the right side of the road (easy to miss!). Cross the wash. Stay right. You’re now on another old wagon trail (DT). Go about a quarter of a mile and look for a HARD left. Take that and you’re now on the 36th Street trail. Take the 36th St trail North West and it’ll eventually connect you back to the Starr Pass trail. Turning right (and taking all left turns from that point to the top of a steep climb) will take you up and back to the intersection of Rock Wren and Starr Pass. You _could_ go left and take Rock Wren to the Yetman trail (winding up back at that rickety old wooden sign), and you can climb back up the Yetman trail, over the saddle, back through the stone house, back on the Bowen trail, back to the resort.

All of this route is visible from Google maps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/patrel

http://www.reverbnation.com/kaleidoscopesundae

http://soundcloud.com/patrick-shannon-mckiernan

One bag of quikcrete at a time 
Xtremeamput
Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome! I'm already in the middle of Yetman. Kinda lost to be honest. Considering backtracking a bit. I gotta get back to the resort for my presentation!

Xtremeamput
Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Holy crap! I'm WAY off! Just Google mapped it. Time to turn and burn now! Lol

JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

We could meet at around 6:00 PM at Players Club & Starr Pass. I was thinking of showing ya Sweetwater Trail since you can easily do Starr Pass. I have a Ford truck with super cab so your welcome to put your bike in the bed with ours. Sweet water Trail Head is a short maybe 5 mi ride to the parking lot. We typically ride for 2 hours or so probably only 10 Mi.

Xtremeamput
Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wow,... Starr Pass and Yetman was a blast! I ran into Pat, who showed me the way back out. He rides a Giant with Giant jersey. Nice guy.

I'll tell ya, that little elevation change was a bit rough, especially on the climbs. My Garmin said my h.r. was at 180 and peaked twice over 200.

JodyM2, you mind shooting me your number so I can get more details?

DeepVI
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Glad you're getting out. Sucks it decided to rain. Since you're at the Marriott, you have hours of riding right from your door. Like EP said.

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I P.M.ed ya my Number.

Xtremeamput
Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for showing some great trails, guys. I really enjoyed it! I will definitely be coming back to try the othe 380 miles I missed! Dang, you guys are so lucky to these trails! If you find yourself in the OKC area, hit me up and I'll show some decent singletrack.

Jeff

View next topic
View previous topic