21 November 2017 11:38:32 PST (GMT -8)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Corvus1
Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ok I know this is going to be fully classified under first world problems but here goes.

I currently have a Pivot 429sl with a 120 Pike. I also have a Nomad v3. I'm in Colorado right now but Moving to Tucson next month (which is why I'm asking opinions on here). We've got plenty of rocks here and plenty of rowdy trails, but also bike parks. When I pick a bike I nearly always want the 429 for anything that requires pedaling. Even at Moab I prefer the 429 on just about everything except the Whole Enchilada. There are times when I want just a little more travel in the rear (I bottom out trails like Captn Ahab in Moab on 2' drops) on the 429, but I only want the Nomad for the worst of times and riding the lifts.

So, I've thought that something like the new Ripley would fill the gap (similar to Evil Following). Still feel XC-ish but have just enough extra to do everything but lift served DH. However I keep hearing that a 6" bike is a realllllllly good thing in Tucson. Would a 130/120 Ripley be outgunned? Anyone riding a Ripley or Following there right now?

sonoranbiker
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't ridden the ripely but I have a RIP 9 (140 up front/115 in the back) and it's great for just about everything here. Tucson is tough because mt Lemmon calls for a 5-6" trail/am bike, while for most of the stuff in the valley a 120mm trail bike (or even a hardtail 29er are fine). The ripley may be a good compromise, but it really depends on if your bias is towards AM or XC. You can ride anything on almost anything.

Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you want just one bike go for a following but for the stuff on lemon the nomad is right at home. The two bikes you have now will cover everything Tucson has to offer. Trails like milli get really rocky and it's nice to have that extra suspension but it nothing a mid travel 29er couldn't kick assume on. If I were you I would ride the bikes you have here first then make up your mind.

Evil_Patrick
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm rolling a Mach 6 on everything. Before the 6, I rolled a Firebird on everything. I'm a huge fan of the DW Link since it provides a very snappy acceleration platform that is also long-legged when the trails get bucking rough.

Either one of your 2 bikes will work really well here. As stated, bring both, ride a sampler of our awesome trails, and then decide to keep both!

http://www.youtube.com/user/patrel

http://www.reverbnation.com/kaleidoscopesundae

http://soundcloud.com/patrick-shannon-mckiernan

One bag of quikcrete at a time 
nathan
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

On trail systems like starr pass and Robles, I prefer my 6 inch bike. it is really rocky there and have lots of high speed stutter sections. All trails on Mt lemon are more fun on a bigger bike with big knobs and a slack angles to handle the steeps and step downs.

I love my 4 inch bike at Honey Bee canyon, Hope Camp, Gabe Zimmerman trails as it is faster and rolling. Having travel here lends to a hobby horse feeling and take energy to keep your balance and lose pedal efficiency.

I rode my 6 inch Giant Reign everywhere in Tucson for years before getting a deal on a xc oriented Giant anthem 27.5. Now its nice to bring the right bike for a trail, but not necessary.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Keep em both, decide after being here a while. I rode/ride a Trek Scratch with a 180mm Vanilla as my only bike while there. I only had one speed going up, but enjoyed the downs a lot more. It was even pretty good on the techy climbs, just had to work a little more. I have a feeling you'll be grabbing the Nomad more for Tucson chunk.

What you should be asking yourself is what fat bike are going to buy.

View next topic
View previous topic