21 November 2017 01:48:45 PST (GMT -8)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I spent some time out at Catalina State Park, it's kinda rocky but there are great views of the Catalinas. The park charges $3 per bike or $7 for up to four people per car or truck. There are lots of camping spaces for tents or R.V.s. I went to the Trail Head and rode the Sutherland trail for a few miles then took the connector to the 50 year trail south to the Equestrian trail it was about 12 mi in all. There are lots of things to see out there like the Hohokam Ruins and a few homesteads.

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's a great place to start the trail system at the Southern end, if you don't mind paying. It also menas yo u don't risk getting the car robbed at Golder Ranch! I used to get the annual pass which would be good for other parks too, including Lemmon, but my wife threw the windshield hanger away inadvertently one year and the park authority refused to honor the payment I proved I had made! I don't bother any more. You can also park outside the gates over Oracle Rd in the shopping center there. Plenty of parking and you don't pay as much to get in on a bike.
If you do go into the park for the first time, the much better trail is to go to the Equestrian Center and take the uphill trail that climbs just north of the center itself. It is signed. There's a gentle climb all the way to the park gate a few miles up there, and that becomes the 50 Year Trail on the other side of the gate. It actually crosses the Sutherland trail further up, but that is rocky as you say. Better to stay on the 50 year all the way to the Chutes, then if you are feeling adventurous, go up into the Upper 50 and all that good stuff up there!

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was wanting to ride to the 50 year but the Trail Head threw me off. Next time I'll park at the Equestrian center. I really want to see the Romero Pools (Probably not with my bike). It seems the Sutherland was built for hikers because they use rocks to make the water checks. So lots of manualing is necessary. I think the views were more spectacular along the Sutherland but lots of Hike a bike.

erict
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Every trail was createded/built by hikers long ago. Taking Sutherland up brings you to the southern end of baby jesus,also rocky. Parking at the equestrian area and accessing the 50 from there is ideal. You can take it to the chutes and back its fun and getting on one of the renegade trails to the west are fun too. One is accessed where the power lines cross the trail and drops you off at the crest above the equestrian center. Parking at golder is ok if you park near the front by the traveled road. Make your car visible. Up there your closer to upper fifty, cp, cherry tank, etc. mucho fun but trails are worn in and wide and well used.

View next topic
View previous topic