22 November 2017 12:16:01 PST (GMT -8)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
SDMB_org
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Effective immediately, access to the Tortolita trails through Saguaro Ranch off of Como Rd. is closed.

Late last week, representatives from SDMB, TORCA, and CASA met with area property owners and a representative from Saguaro Ranch with the end result being that the present trail access from Como Road being declared closed. Sadly, there were a number of events cited that lead to their decision, each of which reflect an escalation of behaviors and emotions with the closure of access being the only remedy acceptable by the property owners. Additionally, Saguaro Ranch is under new ownership, and in the near future, a larger gate was slated to be installed, further declaring the community as closed.

On the silver-lining side of the story, a meeting has already been scheduled with Marana’s Planning & Development and Parks & Recreation Departments to resurrect the plan for a new trailhead access to be granted (knowing that the current situation was not acceptable). More information will be coming out as it becomes available.

Obviously some will want to keep riding through this access, or certainly know people who will. Please don’t, and urge others not to as well. While it was the unfortunate build-up over several confrontations that lead to the road closure, it is these same people who have indicated support for the new trail alignment, and will encourage the owners of the two other properties to support the re-route that will benefit all. Continuing to add fuel to the fire will only jeopardize what remains.

One of the best ways that riders can maintain access to their favorite trails is to join one of the local advocacy groups here in Tucson. Your support and membership dollars help us in our ongoing mission to Build, Ride, and Protect trails in Tucson and Pima County. For more advocacy updates or to become a member, go to www.sdmb.org.

Trails: Build, Ride, Protect - Join us For monthly Trail Maintenance and Group Rides.

www.sdmb.org 
rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was chatting to a friend of mine who lives on the road leading up to the jeep trail in question. I asked him what he knew about this, and he said that the new owner of a property alongside the road was pissed at the behavior of certain MTBers who he claimed had been making noise and being generally rowdy and annoying at the entrance to his property. Also leaving litter around his area too.
I am not sure if this behavior was as a reaction to the property owner's displeasure at people using the access in general, or if it is what caused his displeasure in the first place, but either way, thanks guys for screwing it up for the rest of us. Thankfully I have one or two super secret ways to get up there from the Dove Mtn side, and I would have to kill myself before I let on where that is...
My friend says he still sees people heading up the jeep road. He does not have a problem with it...as long as people behave respectfully.

Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Your friend sounds like he his FOS. How many MTB trails have litter problems around here? Most of us stop and pick the occasional piece that is there. Roudy, Loud? Really? sounds like dementia, not rational argument.

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

My friend sounds like "he his FOS"?!? What does that mean? Dementia? I am not sure what you are driving at unless you are one of the people in question!
I don't know you, I have no idea if you ride up there, and likewise you don't know me or my friend. I am just telling you what he knows from actually being there. Maybe a bunch of bikers stopped at the end of his driveway one day and inadvertently left behind some litter and chatted to one another, or maybe a bunch of loudmouths deliberately threw down some litter and were intentionally rude. From the description it did not sound like the former, but these things are all a matter of perception.
Glad you pick up the occasional piece of litter, I wish more people would.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

FOS = Full of Shit.

Rocker was simply trying to pass along first hand information from a person closely associated with the issue.

How many mtb trails have litter problems? That depends on what you consider a problem. How many trails have you been to? How much litter do you consider reasonable?

Most of us pick up the occasional piece. What about the rest of us? Maybe the rest of us litter like a turned over garbage truck.

Loud? I've seen people riding with small stereos attached to their backpacks. Maybe that's not loud to you, maybe that's obnoxious loud to others.

Your blanketed statements and strongly worded comments just come across as trolling and not very helpful or courteous for that matter.

ErikM
Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

10-4 on the courteous. My bad there. In defense of my points, I ride this trail. It had trash issues before motorized access was removed. Magically, the trash went away with their access. I ride exclusively in the Torts. I would venture I have many times the exposure to MTB riders in the torts then Rock's friend. Rowdy and annoying would be the last words I would conjure up concerning all my contacts with other riders. This person just doesn't want riders on this ROW.
A few of these home owners have been stoping us for many years and disputing our right to access what we were always led to believe was a legal right of way to the park. I am sure some of these exchanges have been unfriendly, and I can attest that it's not always the MTB group doing the unfriendly.

Will-LeeWonka
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks.

I don't disagree with you on any of your points.

I'm just saying it is possible that there have been some mtb jerks up there, every group has them, and I'm sure the home owners up there can be jerks, too.

And absolutely I'm positive there have been jerks up there who are not in the mtb community.

For now though, it seems that there is no legal ROW on the Saguaro Ranch road off of Como unfortunately.

Talk about a suck situation, huh?

Thanks again, man.
Cheers

Tallboy2
Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

Is there any update on a new access trail to replace the Como Rd access to go up and over the south side of the Torts?

ErikM
Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

None That I have heard of. The terrain would be very challenging to have a bike friendly trail get up and over. I think we got lip service from the county.. Possibly a decent hiking alternative in the future?

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

There are a couple of plans in the works that I have heard of, the most useful I believe to be with collusion of the new owners of Saguaro Ranch and working out a route thru there. This would involve a new parking area at the TH for this, and I understand there is still some back and forth about location/size etc. This does seem a viable idea to me, but knowing the history of SR and the locals, there have been many issues in the past in that area, so I hope these can be worked out.

I have also heard talk of cutting a trail that would essentially join up the Ritz Golf Club area near the Upper Javelina TH with the base of the ridge running up on the east side of Cochie Canyon, then running up that ridge to join up with the Cochie Spring Trail, but I fear this might be quite a long way off still. This I think is great idea tho, and any trail up there would be a good one I am sure, and there are some pretty good route possibilities up there. I have walked a good bit of one good route from the top, and I think the Town of Marana have done the same.

Another thing that I have been looking at for now at least is to make a few improvements to the Alamo Spur that joins the North end of Alamo Spring with the Wild Burro Trail in the wash leading up from the Ritz. This is a route I take often to access that part of the Torts, but it is a 20 minute HAB, at least for most of the Spur. Also the Wash down below can be a grind in the sand when it gets dry. Once you get to the top of the Spur however, the Spring trail is very good up to Ridgeline, and it all links up the Torts Loop nicely. I have been looking at ways to make the Spur more user friendly, but there will always be some HAB to do. This is Mountain Biking tho, so I'm good with that!

Of course, the other way that is available right now is the climb up Upper Javelina! After the work done on that lately, it is pretty much all climbable except for the Palo Verde Step about half way up the stretch to the Upper Ritz Saddle. Tough tho... but this is Mountain Biking!

Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that the access would be somewhere relatively close to Como (can ride to from the house). I personally love a good technical climb.

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

I hear you on that Tallboy, it really pisses me off that there is a great way up thru there that is now closed to us all.

View next topic
View previous topic