Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
TORCA
Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.azfamily.com/Clip/12258017/hikers-vs-bikers#.VtkY-XGKvGg.facebook

This was a disturbing report from a news station in Phoenix regarding altercations with mtbers. While it appears that the interviewee appeared to be a little sensitive(for good reason) and perhaps hiking on less traveled trails may have been more appropriate, we still need to be acting in a manner that paints us in a positive light. When this stuff happens, land managers start closing trails, and no one wants that. Please take pause and realize that your actions out there, right or wrong come with unintended consequences. Here are some points to consider:

1. Communication is paramount. When you see another user, acknowledge them and tell them/ask them what there intentions are. Some will be cool and move. Other will not!
2. Always yield the right of way to hikers and equine.
3. When coming across horseback riders, ALWAYS stop and dismount. No exceptions. And again, communicate.
4. Downhill mountain bikers yield to Uphill mtbers. Again, some will be cool, pull over and let you by. Some will not.
5. Be nice. You may make a new friend.

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for this. Seems too many forget some basic "rules" for trail usage, and some even basic human empathy. Like or hate 'em, these rules are what are accepted on multi use trails, and by flouting them, we draw unwanted attention that could end badly. Communication is everything, but many people we encounter may just be plain unfriendly. At those times we need to just suck it up, carry on enjoying ourselves, and let them have their private black cloud. It only becomes ours if we get under it with them.

Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Troof!

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hear the business around Fast Rhino are complaining about Exposure & Pissing in the parking lot.

MotoGary
Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I had this note on my truck when I got back,

Went into the Police Substation and asked the nice lady at the front desk about it. Her response was that it's 'public parking', ignore it.

Anybody else getting the same?

PS, I'm one of the people that visit, but never post. Keeps me informed as to what is going on.

Thanks for keeping the forum active.

Corm
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Where were you parked?

MotoGary
Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

1171 N. Rancho Vistoso (Fast Rhino/Mountain View Plaza)
To ride Honeybee, Badlands, etc.

But then I found more info on:
https://www.facebook.com/SDMB.org/

Looks like I need to stop parking at this location, as convenient as it has been.

Not sure why the person at the police substation didn't know about this.

mlemen
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

If there are Private Property or Parking for Customers Only signs posted at the entrances or at the parking spaces to the Fast Rhino/Police substation parking lot, then we need to find somewhere else to park. Otherwise, the person at the substation is most likely correct. But, someone is still cranky about the cars and the alleged nudity/peeing, and that needs to be addressed.

Just because someone makes an assertion, it doesn't nec mean it's true ... especially if specific examples and pictures are lacking. Regardless, this issue is a good opportunity to show these business owners that mtb-ers are upstanding citizens.

Anyone know anyone at the police substation to ask on behalf of mountain bikers using the Honeybee trails if it's ok to park in the substation area of the lot?

Also, I thought Fast Rhino sponsored a bike club or team at some point in time? It doesn't make sense to me that they would be passive/aggressive cranky at the riders parking in the lot.

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I suspect it's the regular older customers who are bitching that they can't always find their usual parking spaces a short spit from where they want to go Martha... That notepaper and handwriting are a bit of a giveaway!

View next topic
View previous topic