Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Grizzlyrecoveryzone1
Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, the changeable nature of people...
Rocker, thanks again for your expertise in the hub rebuild. It works great!

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am very glad it's holding up Jose! Enjoy your riding, and let me know when you get up this way again, and if you want a Torts ride.

As for the FB thing, I guess I am just a little wary of it. I use it sparingly, and purely to stay in touch with family and very close friends around the world, and hate the data mining that goes on in there. Having said that of course, I just found the SDMB page and posted a link there!

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

rockerc wrote:
It does amaze me that there are an overwhelming number of people that read but take no part in anything. It did not use to be that way, at least not to such a degree.
Am I just being an old curmudgeon by even wondering whether this is another example of the entitled, instant gratification type of mindset that is engineered by the 'get your kicks and move on' attitude of today? No thought or interest in going deeper into the community? maybe even giving back a little?

No, that could never be! I'm just an old curmudgeon...

Get that Tortoise off my Lawn!!!

Lots of truth here Chris. To their credit, said types are getting out for rides instead of trolling mtb forums. With that in mind, I think that people have fallen into their cliques however big or small they may be. I struggle with this as a rider, a part of the community and as an advocate for mtbing(TORCA involvement). We put an amazing event together that would be the envy of many other "festivals" in terms of sheer # of manufacturers who attended. While it was very well attended and as big as we could manage, we think it should be bigger given the populace of Tucson and the proportion of that populace that rides. I think that TORCA has put a ton of effort into bringing the community together to do what we love and we are really passionate about that mission. We do that in the way of our core values of trail work and social rides. But for all the hard work, maybe we are too early to the party?

I'll give you another analogy. When I was in college, 4th avenue was the only place you go out on the town with a few spots downtown and that was it. Among those few spots, they might be busy one night out of the week. Fast forward 10 years, ok...20; and you see a bushel of places hoppin every damn night. The bars and clubs weren't any better today then they were back then. Dare I say, some would give bars and nightclubs of today a run for their money. Answer to this riddle? Timing... and that is something outside of anyone's control. We'll keep fighting the good fight and putting on trail days, social rides, meeting with the FS, State and city and Friends of Redington in the hopes that when it "pops"(and it will), we'll be there.

If you're looking for something to do we have trail days scheduled 3 months in advance for your scheduling pleasure. Might I suggest the CDO trail day scheduled in March? Backcountry trail day with evening campout under the stars, fetching wild miller lights out of the creek, and working with big sharp things. To answer your question where is everyone, we're TORCA is out working our tails off(and riding when we can). Come by our board meeting this Thursday and see for yourself. Cheers!

TORCA (Tucson Off-road Cyclists and Activists)
FREE HIGH FIVES since 2013. 
rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think you are very much correct in a lot of this Art, but I think there's room for 'making valued contributions to online forums' (trolling!), and getting out to ride. I work, ride maybe 4 times a week, do a whole host of other things and still manage to complain about shit on here Very Happy
I also agree strongly that it is a lot about timing, and pulling the strings together. The MTB community does strike me as being very fractured just now, lots of people, probably moving in the same direction, but in their own little worlds of varying sizes. I know I tend to get out and do my own thing simply because I am a bit out on a limb up here in the Torts, and I like to ride from my door to the trails. With that area on my doorstep, I do not get to venture much further most of the time.
If I am home in march, a day up on CDO sounds like a blast, and I will be there, but will be fishing sodas out of the creek rather than Millers! Still good tho!
I missed the emergence and rise of TORCA with a year of head-down crazy touring/working to save enough money to take a year off for medical stuff, and now that I am all better, I see another landscape opened up out there. It's all good. I love what you guys seem to be doing and look forward to finding out more.

Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lurker here but I think torca & fb I was riding for awhile when art and vern were talking about torca awesome community everyone I knew went to that community which left this site just a dirty use condom but still usable in emergency but looks like its just used for bitching which entertainment but nothing to comment on.

suvlako
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

rockerc wrote:
I think you are very much correct in a lot of this Art, but I think there's room for 'making valued contributions to online forums' (trolling!), and getting out to ride. I work, ride maybe 4 times a week, do a whole host of other things and still manage to complain about shit on here Very Happy

LOL Been there, done that. I prefer to let my actions speak for themselves. hope you can join us on CDO, I do remember seeing some wild coca colas in the creek as well. We also have a ride scheduled for the end of January out at Honeybee Canyon. That one will be a good one and in your backyard. check out all of our events at facebook.com/Tucsontorca.

On another note, I know Vernie reached out to BV to see if he wanted him/us to take over the website. I suspect he wanted $ for it or that he just didn't want to give it up to the likes of us as Vern never got a response. Not surprising. I think I may have just started another bitch session. The kid's still got it! Wink

TORCA (Tucson Off-road Cyclists and Activists)
FREE HIGH FIVES since 2013. 
agmtb
Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Want more people to participate? Post more interesting rides. That's why I go to Gooseberry Mesa and Gold Canyon. Ash Creeks amazing autumn color and MT Graham's cool summer temps.
Recently SAMBA complained that I led a hike and posted Ash Creek as a MTB ride yet I walked, because my dog is now 10. I was on the trail yet being off the bike and walking was a problem for some, boo hoo.
I'm interested in exploring trails near Las Cruces and Big Bend, are you?

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Abe, I would love to explore the places you mention, especially Ash Creek. After your initial post about Ash Creek I spent some time researching that, but I do not have a suitable vehicle to get up there. Unfortunately also I do not have the luxury of the time and means of transportation to venture so far afield except on very rare occasions.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I actually asked to take over the site from the current owner so that I could try and breathe some new life into. Unfortunately just like the website my offer went ignored. I think this site is important in helping bring everyone together but unfortunately no time or effort is being put into it by its owner. So people are just jumping ship and spreading out without any effort to keep them or attract new users. As the person with the most post on this site I am pretty saddened by that. I am just going to channel my efforts somewhere else.

https://www.facebook.com/TucsonTORCA

And look at my pics http://pedalpics.blogspot.com/ 
DHFX
Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've noticed a bit of a shift from participation with TMTB over to FB with multiple people posting weekly if not daily rides and meet-ups across Tucson.

Speaking as someone who has been posting on internet forums for close to 17 years, I can say that drama/fighting/ego measuring are universal in driving away site participants regardless of the subject of the particular forum (bikes, cars, boats, skiing, etc).

With that said, lets continue DOING what the site is supposed to be about...

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

rockerc wrote:
I am very glad it's holding up Jose! Enjoy your riding, and let me know when you get up this way again, and if you want a Torts ride.

As for the FB thing, I guess I am just a little wary of it. I use it sparingly, and purely to stay in touch with family and very close friends around the world, and hate the data mining that goes on in there. Having said that of course, I just found the SDMB page and posted a link there!

I resisted FB for a long time, and ultimately reluctantly joined this year because of my work with SDMB and the realization that, like it or not, it is one of the most effective (if not the most effective) ways to get advocacy events and info to the largest number of people. Even having been at the center of several dust-ups here, I despise internet pissing matches and am generally reluctant to jump in. It's hard to stay out, though. I also think that a lot of the conflict of the past has calmed down (to some degree... hopefully). This site is still a great resource for Tucson, and will be re-vamped at some point in the near future.

Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm almost in with you guys, I'm trying to get some hucking in b4 it's to l8, but everyone is posting on facebook and unless your friends with them or in a tight nit group you miss out, this was the very first sight I came to when I moved down here 15 years ago and it was hoppin! now it's almost a swap meet now, I rarely log in for rides, just looking for parts and such. I remember it was the sight for rides, ya some still post but it's kina cooled off for sure.

Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

bigworm wrote:
I actually asked to take over the site from the current owner so that I could try and breathe some new life into. Unfortunately just like the website my offer went ignored. I think this site is important in helping bring everyone together but unfortunately no time or effort is being put into it by its owner. So people are just jumping ship and spreading out without any effort to keep them or attract new users. As the person with the most post on this site I am pretty saddened by that. I am just going to channel my efforts somewhere else.
I admire your effort Vern, maybe the users can wake this sight up in a joint effort, and just flood it ,yes it's outdated but sometimes simple is better but tech is moving fast.

Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sonoranbiker wrote:
rockerc wrote:

I resisted FB for a long time, and ultimately reluctantly joined this year because of my work with SDMB and the realization that, like it or not, it is one of the most effective (if not the most effective) ways to get advocacy events and info to the largest number of people. Even having been at the center of several dust-ups here, I despise internet pissing matches and am generally reluctant to jump in. It's hard to stay out, though. I also think that a lot of the conflict of the past has calmed down (to some degree... hopefully). This site is still a great resource for Tucson, and will be re-vamped at some point in the near future.

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was on here for a while. I bought parts, joined some group rides, including Millie f@ck me, and met some cool people. We need this forum. How do we bring it back to life??

http://www.TucsonRollingShutters.com 

View next topic
View previous topic