25 September 2017 02:43:57 PDT (GMT -7)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

So I was riding up the Upper Javelina trail yesterday for the umpteenth time, and as I often do I was testing myself by trying not to dab in the trickier sections. This led me to thinking about a possible test of ability in the technical steep stuff, and I devised the following ideas which outline a possible future informal event. I would be interested to hear if anyone else might be interested in this, it would need a couple dozen riders to make it feasible...:

Tortolita Technical Trial

An informal test of climbing and technical ability.

Object:

- To climb an uphill technical course thru a series of observed 'Point Pitches' (PP's) with as few penalty points as possible.

- The rider with the lowest number of penalty points at the top will be the winner.

- In the event of a points tie between riders, the faster time will win.

Course:

- From the Golf Club gate at the bottom of Upper Javelina to the first saddle above Tortolita Hole # 6 of the golf course.

- The course will be split into approx. 20 observable Point Pitches, marked at the start and finish of each with chalk lines or flags.

- Within each PP, there may be 'gate flags' which must be passed between to prevent avoidance of obstacles.

- Where gate Flags are not present, the obvious trail must be followed.

Scoring/timing:

- Penalty points will be awarded as follows:

3 points for either foot 'dab' within any PP
3 points for any further 'dabs'
12 points maximum awardable within any PP. The rider may elect to walk the Pitch and gain 12 penalty points for that Pitch

- Each rider will be allotted a start time, which will be exactly 5 mins after the previous rider. He/she may start at any time after that time, but before the next rider starts.

- If any rider is overtaken by the rider behind, it mans an immediate DQ, and the rider must stop and leave the course immediately.

- Any rider may stop and rest in between PPs, but if he/she is passed by the following rider, the DQ described above will be enforced.

Classes and handicapping:

- Riders would depart in age order, youngest first, and classes for awards would be divided into 3:
Newborn to 35
36 - 55
56 - Deathbed

- In order to give everyone the fairest chance of not being overtaken by others, there could be a handicapping system, for example as follows:

Women - Plus 10 years
Recreational riders (weekends) - Plus 5 years
Serious Riders (4 rides per week min.) - Minus 5 years
Racers - Minus 10 years
Anyone called Chad or Jonathan - Minus 20 years

- As stated before, the winner in each class is the one with the lowest number of points, not necessarily the fastest time. Time will only be used to separate riders in the event of a points tie.

Personnel:

- PP judges will be made up of riders and volunteers, depending on the number of volunteers. If riders are used, they will take positions in start order from the lowest PP upwards. As each rider passes thru their PP, they will move down to the next lowest position, and the rider that completes the course will take over the topmost position until all riders are thru.

- Each PP will have a clipboard with a scoresheet for the judges to record penalties. Dog will be watching to make sure fair scores are given...

- There would be a Start Judge and a finish judge to take timings and give start time 'GO'.

- Someone involved will have 1st Aid experience.

- Someone will take care of 'refreshment', for before, during, and after the trial.

Equipment:

- Timing for start and finish
- Course flags
- Rider number panels
- Clipboards and scoresheets
- First Aid kit

Misc:

- Open to all.

- Open to any self-propelled, 2 wheeled bicycle.

- Perhaps an entry fee could be used for the prize fund, and local bike stores might donate goods as prizes.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wow...someone has had some time on his hands, huh?

Computer

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

heheh! I am back home and finished with my last 10 month project so I do have time! It's funny where my mind goes when I am trying to forget the burning pain in my muscles...

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Will-LeeWonka wrote:
Wow...someone has had some time on his hands, huh?

That's what she said!

View next topic
View previous topic