20 September 2017 18:33:37 PDT (GMT -7)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Kat told me I need a wider bar so I'm looking at a new bar but I'm thinking do I need a riser bar or should I just get a stem that elevates a flat bar. Does any one know the difference? Does a bend in the bar make it feel different like more shock absorbent or stronger? I'm going to buy a stem so I can put my 660mm bar on my XC bike that has a 23" Bar so I'll be getting a stem as well as it's only got a 1 inch stem & bar.

Last edited by JodyM2 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Evil_Patrick
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

The key was "wider". I'm not sure that you'll find nearly as many wide options in the flat bar arena.

I would recommend a zero degree (not a riser) stem in the 60 to 90 mm length and a 720mm+ (width) riser bar with the most sweep you can find. Like 10 to 12 degrees of sweep.

http://www.youtube.com/user/patrel

http://www.reverbnation.com/kaleidoscopesundae

http://soundcloud.com/patrick-shannon-mckiernan

One bag of quikcrete at a time 
JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

I found a Specialized 720mm off a Stumpy 29er flat for $15 in Phoenix so I was wondering if I should get the up sweep stem for the rise I may just use it on my XC Bike.

DeepVI
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's still old roadie thinking influencing mountain bike design. Patrick has a good starting point. 90mm is looong for a stem these days. I'm running a 50 stem 760mm bars on my XC hardball.

Some articles.
http://betterride.net/blog/2014/mountain-bike-cockpit-setup-better-handling-bike-industry-slowly-catching-lucky/

http://www.crankcollective.com/viewnews.php?id=107

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have a 75 mm stem for my trail bike but it's a Med and I should have a large 6 foot tall so i think I'll stick with the 75mm stem. My XC bike is a large and I recently went down to a 90mm from a 114mm. I probably need a 31.8mm stem for the XC so I can use these modern bars on the 'ol '99 XC bike. In looking further the Specialized bar is a 10mm rise it just looks flat but it's only 720mm that's mostly what specialized makes unless you get a DH bar. I found a nice Azionic bar 762mm for a great deal $35

http://www.jensonusa.com/Handlebars/Azonic-World-Force-Riser-Handlebar

JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

I looked up the bar my bike came with it's 660mm but when I measure it end it end it's 27". 660mm comes up just under 26" in my metric converter. My bike is stock so I don't believe the bar has been changed.

Oh I found conflicting info on the Big S web page the Geometry chart says 660 but the specs say 680 so it must me 680mm.

Last edited by JodyM2 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeepVI
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm 6'1" and ride larges. 75mm is still on the long side for a stem. Especially if you go with a wide bar. Generally the wider the bar the shorter the stem. Other wise you mess up your leverage ratio and WILL make for an ill handling bike. That's why you see 800+mm bars on DH bike with direct mount stems. If you throw the Azonic bar on that 75mm stem your weight will be forward bias and you won't be "centered" in the bike. You might be OK with the 720mm bar as you're a taller wider with wider shoulders. There is still a lot of old, ingrained roadie-isms that influence components on mountain bikes. The second article I posted gives a pretty good, cut and dry explanation of why short stem/wide bars are good. It is especially great in Tucson, where there are rocks and loose conditions that are constantly trying to wrench the front wheel from your control. Leverage is a good thing. Being in the "ready, attack" position with a shorter stem is a good thing. 660mm is ridiculously narrow this day and age. A lot of change in geometry and component selection has changed in the last five years.

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the articles I read them and they make a lot of sense.
I was thinking that the med bike with shorter top tube would be better with a longer stem. Kat suggested a 30 inch bar it's not easy to find a 762mm and one of the articles said he preferred a 29". That darn Azionic only comes in white and it's 320 grams. i found an Easton 800mm for $65 that's only 300 grams and I guess I could cut it down.

I guess I should get a 50mm stem and use the 75 on the XC Bike.

thudd
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

29ers tend to run a wider bar. That's one of the big changes in bar width thinking. DH needs more leverage as well, so you'll see the 26ers with wide bars in that arena. And then, the east-coasters cut their bars to 23-24" to squeeze between the trees. (xc) That's changing because most of the trails are being cut to accommodate a wide-open, fast-flowing 29er friendly ride. So, narrow bars are going away. Stem length still depends on terrain and rider/bike fit. Longer stems help with XC/climbing. Shorter stems help with AM/descending. (dictating rider position) 45mm-110mm are all reasonable, with some exceptions.

That's my guess anyway.

envy
Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

BMX bars and 114mm stem I like bear claw pedals and I'm 5ft and feel very well on my xl 15in travel front and back xc mtb everyone rides different I hope I help

DeepVI
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

thudd wrote:
And then, the east-coasters cut their bars to 23-24" to squeeze between the trees. (xc) That's changing because most of the trails are being cut to accommodate a wide-open, fast-flowing 29er friendly ride. So, narrow bars are going away. Stem length still depends on terrain and rider/bike fit. Longer stems help with XC/climbing. Shorter stems help with AM/descending. (dictating rider position) 45mm-110mm are all reasonable, with some exceptions.

That's my guess anyway.

Word! I run 780s on my big bike. Got all kind of jammed up in Indiana trails. Good words summing up bar width and stem length. Although I maintain that 80mm is on the long side.

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

envy wrote:
BMX bars and 114mm stem I like bear claw pedals and I'm 5ft and feel very well on my xl 15in travel front and back xc mtb everyone rides different I hope I help

I saw you hucking it the other day just south of 29th on Craycroft. You rolled the grand Prix before he could get away from the light. You DO look good on that thing

wittyusername
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ill have some bars available tonite 710mm 30mm rise. $20

JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty Brand Loyal but if it's something I've heard of I'd be interested what ya got?

wittyusername
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

raceface ride. have maybe 30 miles on em, pretty much take offs from my new ride.

View next topic
View previous topic