20 September 2017 18:38:29 PDT (GMT -7)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I found a used Command Post Black Lite do you think $150 is worth it. It's a few years old so I'm worried about having to have it serviced. I can't see dropping $300 on a new one and it would be nice to have. Any Thoughts?

suvlako
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's worth a hundred bucks tops. It's good if you're on a budget but most all posts require servicing at some point. Is it unused? If you can stomach it, buy a KS Lev. Otherwise look for a Crank Brothers kronolog. A lot of people just gasped but the fact is, that no other post has a fixed cable, zero offset(a must for an am rig) and their customer service is quick and reliable when the post shits the bed. And it will shit the bed. All of them(although my KS has not) do and anyone who claims any different is lying.

TORCA (Tucson Off-road Cyclists and Activists)
FREE HIGH FIVES since 2013. 
bigworm
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am not a fan of any dropper seatpost. Its just something that you are almost guaranteeing yourself is gonna break. Unless you are set on riding lots and lots of Lemmon tech there isnt really much else in Tucson you need it for. I would save your money for something else. Though I have never owned one myself so this is just coming from an outside perspective. I haven't needed one yet riding anything and I'm not out to set any records on the trail so dont need an extra moving part and set of cables on my bike for it.

https://www.facebook.com/TucsonTORCA

And look at my pics http://pedalpics.blogspot.com/ 
JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your input! I've been looking into bike fit because Kat told me I needed a wider bar and said dropper posts were nice. I've been having knee pain on my left knee ( twisted it side ways on a MX Track in Perris CA.) so I raised my seat to get full extension. I fell into a cholla the other day at Sweet Water on that Red Canyon Rocky section, others must have done the same as the cholla was dried out & dieing. I offered the guy $125 I thought that was a fair price. He came down from $175 to $150 but I don't think I'll go higher.

I found a nice C4 90mm Stem for my XC bike for only $15 from that shop behind Fairwheel. I got both bars mounted now and they feel great. I think the Flat 720 will be fine on my Stumpjumper. So happy to get the 23" bar off my S-Works bike replaced with the 680mm riser from the stumpjumper.

I'm stoked on the deals I got $15 for a like new 720mm Specialized bar & $15 for a like new 90mm stem. I love take offs!

JayD
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I love my dropper. I bought a KS LEV DX. Azcyclist said they have sold a lot of them and only a couple have come back. Mine is one. It still worked but it has about " sag. And it was getting worse.

Ryan is taking care if it. Not a year old yet. Cable is fixed to the post not the saddle mount.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've never had, or even tried a dropper post. Everyone that has seem to all agree that it's the best tasting Coolaid ever. I dunno. I just get behind the seat when the tech is steep down and coasting/braking.

Maybe this is why I ride so slow and always finish last?

http://www.youtube.com/user/patrel

http://www.reverbnation.com/kaleidoscopesundae

http://soundcloud.com/patrick-shannon-mckiernan

One bag of quikcrete at a time 
rattlin_ridgelines
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Don't discount mechanical droppers. Significantly more reliable and less chance for problems to occur as there is no hydraulic system to get jacked up. The gravity dropper is the most well known and has been around for years. I personally have had mine for over a year with no problems. I know people have had them for years with no problems.

The tradeoff is that you give up the infinite adjustability of hydraulic systems as the dropper has preset points where it locks into place. I personally see this as preferable to an infinite adjustable system as I don't have to mess with getting the seat in the right place. It either drops all the way for tech descending, is all the way up for climbing, or down a little for tech climbing or pedally descending. It drops to the same place every time. I know there is a mechanical dropper out there with a 9 inch drop that locks in at an inch increments throughout the travel if you prefer more adjustability. I forget the brand offhand though.

I'm in the camp that thinks the dropper has been the best change I've made on the bike. Being able to change your body position on the bike to maximize control is far greater than any equipment change you could make. I even switch out my dropper to my xc bike often just cause it makes riding more fun. And I like to smile when I ride

mlemen
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Huge fan of droppers, but have no experience with the model being asked about.

I'm such a huge fan, I just put one on my xc bike just because I can't live without one.

ErikM
Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It matters what your riding.. My particular bike setup riding my epic comp XC bike, if I get behind my seat, I can't get back. Try that for a while and then report back on how you like droppers. Probably a different story on a all mountain or downhill setup.

nathan
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dropper posts are not for getting Behind your seat. That is Old School Thinking. Droppers are to get your seat out of the way so you can hover over it and let the bike move up and down beneath you on technical sections where you are riding in attack position (out of the saddle) with a lower center of gravity. In this way you don't have to use the old "behind the seat" technique on steep terrain, stay lower and more behind the bars. This helps you corner easier with more control, pump over dips, and generally feel more confident. You can use it on flat sections that are swoopy or have lots of obstacles.

Old school riding style

You do not need a dropper post. Or suspension. Or disk Brakes. Or a bike at all. Hiking is lots of fun with the correct pharmaceuticals. THat said I just bought another one for my short travel bike. Like Martha, I am so used to having one riding without one feels dangerous. I use my dropper at Fantasy Island. Do I need it? Of course not.

Dropper Posts are another maintenance item, it will wear out, seals will fail. But it should last a few years without maintenance other than cleaning and lubrication.

Giant makes a dropper post called the Contact Switch that retails for 250$ that is a reliable quality unit. the new version has high or stealth cable options.

It has a sealed cartridge system that is easy to replace, and Giant dealers can order it for you. I think it comes with a two year warranty. I have run this post on several bikes for the last three years without issue. If you are worried about running a giant post on your specialized, realize Giant made your frame anyway. Probike here in TUcson sold me one for 250$ plus tax.

Last edited by nathan on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
nathan
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

suvlako wrote:
.....Otherwise look for a Crank Brothers kronolog. A lot of people just gasped but the fact is, that no other post has a fixed cable, zero offset(a must for an am rig)......

Why is zero offset a requirement on an all mountain rig?

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I got a Command Post Black Light for $220 +Tax due to my TORCA Discount at Arizona Cyclist. I got a med bike and I should have a Large so I needed a longer seat post my knees were hurting. I like it. It was pretty easy to install and it's nice to be able to get the seat post out of the way for the Tech Stuff.

I think I'm ready for La Miligrosa!

I did Milagrosa twice now and I'm totally sold on the Dropper Post!
I don't believe I could have ridden half the stuff I did because of the Command Post.

View next topic
View previous topic