20 September 2017 18:30:21 PDT (GMT -7)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Corm
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We're looking to get the wife a new bike in the somewhat near future. She's wanting to get bigger wheels, but leaning toward getting 27.5.

She's been riding a 2007 Stumpjumper FSR Expert with pretty nice components (XT/XO), but they're older. She wants to get something compable. I'm thinking anything newer, as long as it is decent, will probably be just as good.

We've only been able to look at the Giant/Liv bikes in person for bikes that fit, and she'll be demoing various bikes to get a feel for what she would like to get.

JayD
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If her old bike is in good working order I don't think she will notice a huge upgrade in the drivetrain and brakes.

I picked up a good deal on a SC Superlight for my wife. Deore drivetrail with an XT derailluer and Deore brakes.

It shifts perfect, doesn't ghost, and brakes are good.

It's got a Recon Gold which is WAY better than the silver. The Fox CTD shock locks hard for climbing which I think is important on a single pivot bike.

She is only 5'2" and I feel the 29 would have been too big for her. 27.5 was really the only option.

The only huge upgrade I think is the 1x but I don't think it has the range for every one.

Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

I tend to agree with 27.5 unless you're over 6ft tall.

The SC Highball 27.5 is really nice, as well as the Chameleon (for hardtails) but for full squish both Yeti and SC offer a single pivot version of their more popular trail bikes - the Yeti 575 and the Santa Cruz Heckler.

I would start there. Price point is around 2k, but you get a decent kit and they will ride SO MUCH better than a 2007 FSR anything.

Additionally, today's XT, SLX / X7 or X5 will likely still feel superior to your 2007 tech.

Now if you really want to make the purchase count, get the 2-3000 build used on PB with a dropper, 1x11 drivetrain, and decent brakes. That thing will perform like a 911 Turbo for years to come.

Either way you can't really go wrong.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

All of the studies that have come out have debunked any relation between wheel size and a rider's height.

There are female racers for every manufacturer that are 5ft-ish and the majority of them ride 29ers. The wheel size determines the ride quality, it doesn't determine frame fit.

There was even a recent study that resulted in showing that the 27.5 was actually the most disadvantaged of the 3 wheels sizes. Albeit, the margins were not great, especially when translating to everyday riders, but the point being that there is nothing special about the 27.5 wheel size and that the idea that it had the benefits of both of the wheel sizes and none of their weaknesses wasn't true.

All that to say, I wouldn't focus on the wheel size to determine what bike she rides. The frame fit would be of utmost importance. She may find that she likes a (insert make/model) 27.5 over a (insert make/model) 29er, or that she likes a (insert make/model) 26er over a (insert make/model) 27.5.

I've ridden 26ers I liked, 27.5 I liked, and 29ers I've liked....and I've ridden 26ers I've hated, 27.5 I hated and 29ers I've hated...and it had nothing to do with wheel size and I'm only 5'6".

Duracel
Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh I don't claim any studies in my post. I've ridden them all as well, and they all have pros and cons. I see little people pushing big wheels into corners and I see big people pushing little wheels... To each his own.

Logically I see the progression in size as your body grows, as with kids on BMX bikes, but that's just my personal view.

As wheels grow, they carry more speed, but they become harder to throw into a turn. They also shrink the rocks as you roll over them (so to speak). Otherwise the scale is linear. 26-27-29 inversely you gain/lose inertia, force required to interfere with gyroscopic effect, etc... No size is magical.

Pick your size and be a D*CK about it! Very Happy

Really wheelsize isn't that critical, but I backed the 27.5 bc I really think people that are 5ft tall have no business rolling wagons, and because he seems pretty satisfied with that size in general.

Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

And bc 26" are getting harder to buy tires for already, so the natural choice given to us is 27...

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Duracel wrote:
Pick your size and be a D*CK about it! Very Happy

LMAO!! That's awesome!! Seriously, I want to high five you right now.

I see that SO often and why I find it so hilarious. It seemed way worse when 29ers first came out. People would just latch onto their personal choice...all others be damned.

It seems we are being marketed to a lot for 27.5 and not necessarily for any benefit to riders, but mainly to benefit pockets and wallets. The companies are making way more money by putting choices out there and trying to get people to change standards. Of course, some changes are awesome and great...some changes aren't so great and simply are there to suck up consumer dollars.

I was very skeptical about going 29er, especially since I'm on the shorter side and listened to all of the internet opinions. I tried them and realized there was a very measurable difference, not just in feel and perceived effort, but in lap times.

I find it interesting that the studies don't show any significant benefit for 27.5 and actually, a few studies show negative impacts of using 27.5 over either 26 or 29. Of course, there are a lot of factors to take into account and I understand that. So, it shouldn't be taken as a general blanket. Some 27.5 bikes are awesome...some 29er bikes are awesome...some 26 bikes are awesome.

You're right about 26er tires/wheels/forks/frames not being as abundant as years prior. That part kind of sucks.

I'm just opposed to the belief that shorter people shouldn't ride larger wheels since there isn't anything factual backing that. Frame design determines the rider height, not the wheel size.

Will-LeeWonka
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting reads...

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gear/article/how-does-mountain-bike-wheel-size-really-affect-performance-43481//

http://www.rodbikes.com/blog/whats-the-effect-of-wheel-size-on-speed/ (focused primarily on road bikes, but the concepts and science is still applicable)

http://www.bikemag.com/news/exclusive-war-of-the-wheel-sizes/

People should get whatever bike they feel comfortable on and not be limiting themselves to wheel size. A well designed frame takes into account wheel size and rider height to come up with a well handling bike. At that point, it's up to the rider to determine what bike matches their riding style and inspires confidence.

BTW, I'm not a proponent of any wheel size...just well fitting bikes/frames. I have 26ers and 29ers in the stable, including a fatbike (26er wheel that sizes like a 29er) and I like them all for their own merits. I'd even like to own a 27.5 someday.

Okay...okay...I know... Beating a Dead Horse

Duracel
Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

I just love that they are still doing studies...

Physics is physics. They all have one or another desirable or detracting characteristic.

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I've been thinking of getting her to try the Bantam/Heckler. It's funny that she's shorter at 5'2, but she has preferred the Liv medium frame on sizing opposed to a small (which I think would prob be better).

She's partial to specialized since that's what she's always ridden, but I'm trying to broaden her horizons on bind choice and how there's a lot of good bikes out there.

thudd
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Frame geometry will change with wheel size. A very small frame with 29" wheels will ride different from a larger frame. The wheelbase, h.t. angle and rider c.g. are the biggest considerations. This said, if Macaskill can do the shit he does on a road bike, it kind of proves that we should all quit bitching about the bike and get some skills.

So, yeah, ride what you like.

Duracel
Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed. Interestingly, some of the manufacturers are now only offering 29" in their L-XL frames, and smaller wheels on the little guys.

Either way.

I still vote for the 575 and the Heckler if you're looking for "bang for your buck"

Otherwise, look at the Julianna bikes, the 5010 or Bronson before you just grab another Speshie.

I like Speshie, but the pedaling platforms of SC and Yeti are DEFINITELY worth a fair shake before you buy.

Hell, I would even recommend the Process 142 for a test ride. Well thought-out bikes.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I like the fact that 26" stuff is getting hard to get, there's all kinds of great deals around if you take the trouble to look Very Happy I'm stocking up on what may soon become rocking horse sh!t...
I've also been riding 26" wheels since the mid 80s, and have no reason to want to change, I'm just getting used to 'em!

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

rockerc wrote:
I've been riding 26" wheels since the mid 80s, and have no reason to want to change, I'm just getting used to 'em!

One of the studies Will-Lee is referring to concluded with the study administrator admitting none of the riders (all pros) had spent much time on 27.5 tires (the loser of the study). This, to me, suggests that all sizes have strong points, as long as the riders are familiar with how they handle. ( He never stated whether the platforms were designed for the wheel size or not)
I ride 26" too. (I'm 6'1") I keep up with the folks with whom I'm riding, not because I'm that stellar athlete (I'm thudd for fucks sake). It's because I can take advantage of the benefit of 26ers when that's the trail, and can hang (barely) when it's not. (and I can recover from a near-death wreck faster than most)
The critical things in this whole debate are; was the frame designed around this wheel size, and, is the gearing right for this wheel size. (look up the velox3... it's an f'n recumbent = little wheels)

Again... ride what you like... and friggin' smile. You're on a bike!

envy
Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I wanna ride with you thudd

View next topic
View previous topic