21 November 2017 11:36:27 PST (GMT -8)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sick of my Avid Elixir R rear brake it's been trouble since I've had it I bought new pads, bought a bleed kit, used it, bought new pistons for the calipers and installed them. I'm very interested in the new Avid Guide Brakes. I believe the Master Cylinder will make them work properly. I was looking at the Guide R or the RS. I realized I'd really like the adjust ability of the pads when I get more than half way thru a set of pads. I think that is my problem now. I had to sand my pads a few times they were glazed and making a horrible noise and now I don't have an adjustment for the pad so my braking starts too far in the throw for my liking.

I found an RST for $138.83 for just the rear I'm OK with my front Avid Elixer R SL. The R's are only $91.66 & the RS are $111.37.

My delema is a Set of Shamino SLX Brakes is only $117.37

http://www.merlincycles.com/mountain-bike-disc-brakes-44136/

Last edited by JodyM2 on Thu May 21, 2015 4:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Will-LeeWonka
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Shimano. No contest.

http://www.jensonusa.com/MTB-Disc-Brakes?s=PriceLow&c=C0000E18
$90

http://www.pricepoint.com/Components/Brakes/Disc-Brakes/?page_no=1&keywords=&page_length=30&fq=ATR_MountainBiking%3ATrue&sort_by_options=sortDescription%2Bdesc
$90

suvlako
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Will-LeeWonka wrote:
Shimano. No contest.

http://www.jensonusa.com/MTB-Disc-Brakes?s=PriceLow&c=C0000E18
$90

http://www.pricepoint.com/Components/Brakes/Disc-Brakes/?page_no=1&keywords=&page_length=30&fq=ATR_MountainBiking%3ATrue&sort_by_options=sortDescription%2Bdesc
$90

Dude, those guides are supposed to be rad! I have had full fledged Shimano nuts say that Avid nailed it with those. I have found that my xt's on my Stumpy do the same thing when I get to mid pad.

TORCA (Tucson Off-road Cyclists and Activists)
FREE HIGH FIVES since 2013. 
JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Avid GUIDE brakes have 4 pistons per caliper. More on par with Shiminao's Zee Brakes. I head one of the Bike Magazine reviewers say he liked the guides more than shamino because of increased modulation. I've also heard that mineral old breaks don't hold up to a down hill run as well as Brake fluid brakes due to overheating.

I would also like to use my existing Disks 160mm-175mm Scram. Can I use these or will I need the new matching ones? Can I use a shamino caliper on a scram disk?

Duracel
Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Guide RSC brakes have been phenomenal. They can be dialed in for "on/off" like the Shimano, or you can really modulate the hell out of them... Between the lever position, throw ratio, and other adjuster knob I manage to make the front and rear each feel very distinctly different, and there's plenty of stopping power. They make noise only when being actively showered with goo, and then within seconds they are back to silent.

I know they recommend matching rotor to brake brand, but I don't know if there will be any "real" problem with cross-use.

The big benefit for Shimano has been ease of bleed, reliability, and friendliness of mineral oil to the skin/earth vs DOT brake fluid.

The new Guide Ultimates actually add a trick bleed port so you can avoid even fiddling with the screws, so SRAM is really getting their act together.

I also know some Shimano die-hards who have recently admitted that the new SRAM stuff is "finally there".

You won't be disappointed. Hell, my new DH bike is coming with the Guide RSC brakes. I think someone at the bike company is also quite confident in their capabilities.

And for the record, with previous iterations of Avid brakes I too had issues... So I would not be supporting these new brakes if they were not actually working out well for me. They turned the corner for sure.

FYI - when my Ultimates arrive I'll have a set of 2015 Guide RSC F/R up on the web for sale - with 160mm rotors F/R.

Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

+1 for the Guide RSC.

Old Avids suck. Going from Avid to Shimano XT or XTR was a dream come true. No squeal, and way more power. After riding Saint and owning XTR race, XTR trail, and Zee brakes I tried a pair of Guide RSC. The total power output is as high as Saint/Zee but the modulation blows it out of the water. Truly a game changer. I literally ride differently and corner faster with these brakes. The Shimano's are easier to bleed but the design of the new guide brakes means you'll rarely have to bleed them. A full season on a pair and not one bleed needed and no squeal.

The SRAM guys did nail the design. They also know folks hated the Avoid brakes. It's why they place the Guides under the SRAM name and not avid. Not going back to Shimanos.

bigworm
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

I just use my foot and stick it in between the wheel in the frame its been working fine for years. Plus I pair of new braking shoes at payless is cheaper than a pair of new brake pads. It also shaves a ton of weight off the bike not having all that stuff mounted on there.

https://www.facebook.com/TucsonTORCA

And look at my pics http://pedalpics.blogspot.com/ 
envy
Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Best way to skid and payless pads are the only light up pads i can find.

View next topic
View previous topic