19 September 2017 04:32:04 PDT (GMT -7)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
ejbluth
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Was riding the West side of the Torts about about hour ago. Got to the top of UJT and could hear this crazy screaming. Went home, googled, sounded like the clips on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM2Sw8dsMDQ

Kinda creepy.

fbmdrz
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've heard that before climbing at the beach (basically bottom of millie), never knew what it was.
I always thought it was some kids messing around.

I'm just gonna pretend it was kids messing around.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

An aquintance of mine who happened to be a big bow hunter once told me, that there was one mountain lion for every 13 square miles in the state of Az. Chew on that for a minute. Saw a mom and cubs at night once just before the Gordon Hirabayashi campgrpund. Also saw one last summer right before Bigelow turn off. If we knew how prevalent they are, we'd probably never leave the house. Anyone for a night ride? Wink

TORCA (Tucson Off-road Cyclists and Activists)
FREE HIGH FIVES since 2013. 
JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I used to live in the Inland Empire around the year 2000(50 mi inland of L.A.C.A.) I loved to ride the Marshall Canyon Trails. One day a lady went missing on a bike ride in the hills above Clairmont C.A. they said a Mt. Lion drug her off all they found was her bike.

erict
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There was a great article a few years back in the Sunday paper about our local mtn lion population or lack there of. They tracked/tagged some and learned that they travel between all of the Tucson ranges throughout the year. Same family traveled from the torts to the rincons and back. Various others traveled other ranges. A good read!

thudd
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As long as the Game and Fish guys keep tossing a bighorn to them every once in a while, we're ok. But, when that gets old, we'll find we really aren't on the top of the food chain.

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Having seen the signs up at the UJ gate by the golf club, I emailed Tom Ellis at Marana Parks and got this reply:

"Chris,

Good to hear from you. The signs at the trailheads have been placed there by Arizona Game and Fish in response to reported mountain lion sightings by hotel guests. My bet is that the guests saw bobcats and reported them as mountain lions. There are certainly lions in the Tortolitas. They have been tracked as they roam between the Catalina, Tucson, and Santa Rita Mountains. I know of no incidents involving lions and humans in the Tortolita range. All my time spent there, Iíve not seen any sign of one. Plenty of bobcats, though.

-Tom"

Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yep been hearing them, doing Monday night rides on the AZT, there out there, just be loud and ride in groups, and don't be the slow guy lol jk, as the saying goes there more scared of a group than a lagging single, jk again I'm on a roll, just be mindful and ride smart.

Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Also remeber you dont need to be the fastest in the group...you just need to be able to outride one person.......skaadooosh

swampfox
Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Chris..how are you man?!?

erict..here's the article

http://tucson.com/news/local/how-close-do-mountain-lions-come-to-you/article_34b24344-4c62-519b-a31b-97b59804b066.html

Several years ago, in a remote side canyon north of Stone Canyon, I saw several massive cat tracks in the sand. Without a doubt, they were mountain lion tracks.

I have met and spoken to the mountain lion tracker who had the state contract for tagging mountain lions in the area. A few years ago he set up quite a camp in the Torts with his son, mules, horses and 20-30 tracking dogs.

They are there..

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Max! I am good thanks mate! Getting back up to speed after a couple of tours and been back for a week or so. Trying to work out all the crap I've built up in my body! I will call you soon about something else, but we need to ride again soon! I promise not to wear my bacon flavored after shave 'cos them lions are partial to that I hear...

I once was up on the Cochie Spring trail on my own one morning, and anyone who has been up there can attest to the fact that hardly anyone goes up there, and saw some very fresh tracks and some fresh poop that looked a LOT like my cat's poop, only much bigger. I could swear there were some shreds of Nike underwear in there, but didn't hang around too long to make sure... I did take some pictures and checked later against my trusty "Tracks to Run Away From" guidebook, which corroborated my fears.

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

rockerc wrote:
saw some very fresh tracks and some fresh poop that looked a LOT like my cat's poop, only much bigger. I could swear there were some shreds of Nike underwear in there,

So, what I'm getting out of this is that riding commando adds a level of safety.

envy
Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thudd total opposite, steel Chasity belt sounds like the only safe way to ride on mt lemon. Mine rubs a little but wont get my junk chewed on.

swampfox
Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

?? haven't we done this same thread every year for the past 6-7 years now? These stories sound strangely familiar... Hypnotize

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You mean the chastity belt thread or the Nike underwear Max?!?

I just had a Mountain Lion in my yard by the way...

Might have been a Bobcat I guess...

View next topic
View previous topic