21 November 2017 11:31:07 PST (GMT -8)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
sonoranbiker
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This weekend I rode the Swift Cycles campout, put on by Transit Bikes (thanks guys!) and I figured it would make sense to throw my CB Candies back on the commuter/touring bike since it was 35 miles each way on the road. After riding clipless for years, about 5 years ago I started riding flats exclusively, even on my commuter. I have grown to love how easy it is to get on and off the bike with flats, and I feel like I have much more control since I can push the rear end of the bike around with my feet. Modern flats with good sticky rubber shoes are amazing. I am not making arguments about what is faster (I really don't care about that), but riding on flats makes for a much more fun and comfortable riding experience. I think one of the biggest disservices we do new riders is telling them that all the cool riders go clipless, and that learning how to ride includes falling over a bunch of times unnecessarily because you can't get out of your pedals.

After riding around for a few days on the Candies, it's amazing how much more I prefer flats. Even with being "attached" to the pedals, I feel like my feet are flopping around and I'm completed disconnected from the bike. It seems like the only benefit of being clipped in is being able to pull up while pedaling, but at the cost of having to push down on a surface the size of a quarter that my feet slop around on and having to wear goofy shoes (OK... my 5.10 Impacts are pretty goofy too) that slip and slide when I walk on them. On flats, I feel waaay more connected and in control.

It was good to try them out again, and I may use clipless for longer touring/road trips, but at this point I think I'm on flats for life.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Through a bit of research over the years, I've been lead to believe that the overall opinion is that the Candies are not very good pedals.

Maybe a better comparison between flats and clipless should be made with well respected brands and the right shoes for each design?

http://www.youtube.com/user/patrel

http://www.reverbnation.com/kaleidoscopesundae

http://soundcloud.com/patrick-shannon-mckiernan

One bag of quikcrete at a time 
suvlako
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ever tried a platform clipless pedal? I ride these and you get best of all worlds. With the advent of the Shimano MP66 shoes, other shoe manufacturers have made very comfortable, hikeable and STIFF shoes like the 5.10 raven, or Shimano AM45's. Running platforms on xc stuff is ridiculously inefficient. I actually think I am going to give Dhing with clipless a shot.

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Shimano/Shimano-PD-M647-MTB-SPD-Pedals.axd?gclid=CJLi15qWq8YCFQoKaQodZPYA9g

TORCA (Tucson Off-road Cyclists and Activists)
FREE HIGH FIVES since 2013. 
sonoranbiker
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

The Candies are crap; I think everyone agrees on that. They were just what I had lying around from when I rode clipless before. I might have a better experience on other pedals, but it was just interesting to note how much less connected I felt. For now I am going to stick with my 5.10's and flats. I'm not out out win any races, and even on XC stuff on my El Mariachi I manage to keep up with the cool kids.

Art- You must have way bigger cojones than me (and I think you probably downhill a lot more)... I know lots of the pros do it, but being clipped in on a DH course scares the crap out of me. Going to Angel Fire next weekend- super stoked about it!

Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sonoran those are not the cool kids.

AchrisK
Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I agree about the pressure placed on beginning riders to ride clipless. It makes no sense. I feel it would be optimal for a person to develop trail riding skills on flats where it is easier to put your foot down. Then, if a person feels their riding is being limited by the flat pedals, there is the option to upgrade. I'm sure it is much easier to get used to clipless if you already have riding skills.

Personally I have been riding flats for the 5-6 years I have been riding MTB, and I have no plans to change that. I do not feel I am being limited by riding flats.

AZTtripper
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have used the Time version of platform clipless I liked them for Lemmon trails. Not the best of both but a good compromise.

Any shop that tells a new rider to start trail riding clipped in is not a very good shop.

I have been riding both, back and forth from work bikes with flats, to my own with Time Clipless. There are climbs I just can't do on the flats. I can't see anyway I could climb the "Wall" at Star Pass on flats.

AchrisK
Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was thinking about this today while riding Starr Pass.

I think that being clipped in must give some advantage in certain situations. Unfortunately part of that is allowing riders to get away with some things that would serve the rider better if they had learned it on flats. Some examples are lifting/unweighting the rear wheel, or the whole bike. Also I feel like technical climbing is better done standing, which keeps the feet firmly planted on any pedal. But being clipped in will keep your feet on the pedals better when sitting and doing more technical climbing.

I tell myself that I will consider being clipped in if I perceive that flats are truly limiting my riding. I think my biggest limitation right now is running out of gas on technical climbs.

That said, the whole flats vs clipped is really part of the trade-off conversation. Not really different than 1x11 vs 2x10, etc. Are you willing to give up the advantages of 20 gears for the simplicity and robustness of 11 gears and no front derailleur? Do you get more enjoyment out of whatever you actually get from being clipped in than you would get with good flats/shoes that allow you to start/stop/fail with much less penalty?

Everyone has different goals, styles and motivations. All answers are right, if they are honest.

Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

The cool kids all do their first ride on Lemmon with multi speed bikes, dropper post, on the fly adjustable suspension, garmin 810, bell, water bottle cages, and of course clipless pedals.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have so many questions about the cool riders you mention? Who are the cools riders you are talking about?
" I think one of the biggest disservices we do new riders is telling them that all the cool riders go clipless"
I mean pretty much all the pro dh riders are riding clipless aren't they cool? Def all the pro xc riders are riding them they are cool for sure. Everyone that races in the Tour de France is clipless its the coolest bike race on earth. I think most pro enduro riders are as well and they are the coolest kids on the block right now. Are we basing it on local riders that think they are cool cause Suvlako sure thinks hes cool and he rides clipless. By far though I am the coolest person around and I ride clipless I even ride clipless at Angel Fire im so cool. So def we should be telling people that the cool riders are riding clipless welll because all the cool riders are riding clipless. Its a very true statement. Even more true though is that is flats are so much better why are there pretty not a single pro riding them in most major aspects of the cycling world?

Then there is this statement
"I'm not out out win any races, and even on XC stuff on my El Mariachi I manage to keep up with the cool kids. "
What trails were you on? Which cool kids were you keeping up with? Where those cool kids wearing flats too? Did these cool kids have dropper posts? Do I need a dropper post if I am going to switch to flats? Was it a night ride or a day ride? Were the cool kids wearing lycra or baggies? Are you just riding flats to be a rebel since you don't want to be one of the "cool kids" and that gave you extra motivation to pedal harder? Are you sure you are not becoming a hipster? The only people I have met that LOVED flats were newbs and hipsters. There are a lot of them infiltrating our sport right now.

I am trying to base my pedal choice off of your riding experience thanks for the info. Nothing helps a rider pick what works best for them than to hear the vague review of someone else who rides a bike.
Wink

https://www.facebook.com/TucsonTORCA

And look at my pics http://pedalpics.blogspot.com/ 
envy
Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

They should make clips for dirt bikes now that would be a cool kid. Maybe clips for my car pedals for a better pull up and big worm I think I need some of these answers so I can start riding again.

Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Okay guys, really tough decision here: do I go clipless or flats on my new e-bike?

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Peer pressure and bias aside a logical decision could be reached by answering the following questions, with a point being added by each yes no answer:

Which pedal shoe combo is more comfortable for short rides? Long rides?

Which is better for efficiency?

Which for tech climbing?

For Tech descending?

for casual riding?

For racing?

For Farmers market trips?

For trips to Starbucks?

To play hackey sack in?

To do a field sobriety test?

To get in a fist fight in?

Answer these questions for yourself and make up your own damn mind.

Alpha males don't give advice. They lead by example.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Which pedal shoe combo is more comfortable for short rides? FLATS

Long rides? FLATS

Which is better for efficiency? FLATS

Which for tech climbing? FLATS

For Tech descending? FLATS

for casual riding? FLATS

For racing? FLATS

For Farmers market trips? FLATS

For trips to Starbucks? FLATS

To play hackey sack in? FLATS

To do a field sobriety test? FLATS

To get in a fist fight in? FLATS

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

nathan wrote:

To get in a fist fight in? FLATS

Dunno man. Getting chicken clawed by an SPD-SL or a Look cleat wouldn't be too much fun

View next topic
View previous topic