18 November 2017 00:07:44 PST (GMT -8)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
twowheelsdown2002
Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Friday was a magical day in TMP. At 1:30pm it was in the low 70's! Wow! On the Yetman wash trail I ran into the first turtle. I topped a hill and started to pick up speed and though it was a rock. I don't like to move them, but it was a dangerous spot, so I gently put him 20 feet off the trail.

20 minutes later I ran into the second turtle on the connecting trail from 36 street to the 4 foot culvert. It was in the middle of the trail, but not in a dangerous spot, so I moved around it and let it go on its way.

It's not often I see turtles, and two in one day is a first. So I took it as an omen, that I should adopt the turtle as my Spirit Trail Guide. I think it fits with my slow, steady riding pace. Slow and steady, but not much stops me. I felt it was a good omen, and proceeded to clean Cat Mountain going northward. Undoubtedly, the good mojo from the turtle encounters must have made the difference.

Then today, I ran into this bizarre, scary looking creature in the trail. WTF? Looks very threatening! I dared not tamper with this intimidating creature, and gave it a wide birth, leaving it be, to go on it's way. I rode the rest of the ride in fear that it was a bad omen. But fortunately the turtle mojo was still resonating strong, and I once again made Cat mountain without a dab. Phew! I was a bit worried for a while there. I will leave this creature for someone else to adopt as their Spirit Trail Guide.

JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I call it the Dirty Dildo! Looks like the rain washed it off some. I've been seeing a lot of tortoise as well but out on the AZ Train near Pistol Hill. We saw two in one day as well.

twowheelsdown2002
Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, two in one day is pretty rare. I think they like these cloudy days or something. Seems to have them active. (Or at least as active as they can be.)It's not often I see even one, so two in a day is pretty special.

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hate to rain on your parade, but it is not good to pick up or disturb tortoises out there. They will often discharge their water supply if you do, and this can kill them. They are like little camels that store water for the dry days. if they lose their stock they're up sh*t creek... sorry for the unintentional puns...

Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

rockerc wrote:
Hate to rain on your parade, but it is not good to pick up or disturb tortoises out there. They will often discharge their water supply if you do, and this can kill them. They are like little camels that store water for the dry days. if they lose their stock they're up sh*t creek... sorry for the unintentional puns...
Which is why, if you read my post, I said "I don't like to move them".

However, the first one was in a spot where you top a hill, and start to pick up speed, and it could have easily been struck, especially since the area where he was, someone could have been carrying a lot more speed than I happened to be going at the time. I figured that the trauma of being hit by a rider, would be a lot more than the trauma of my gently moving it out of a bad spot.

Why does it not surprise me on this forum, that someone would come on and try to be critical. Rolling Eyes

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

I hear you 2wheels, but I often see desert tortoises on trails as it is their quickest way from a to b sometimes. I am not being overly critical altho I am fiercely protective to all the desert creatures out there. They have it hard enough without us coming along to mess with them too. Here's an extract from a Federal information sheet describing safe handling of Desert Tortoises for those who are not aware of their vulnerability in the heat:

"Desert tortoises shall be treated in a manner to ensure that they do not overheat or exhibit signs
of overheating, which include aggressive struggling by the desert tortoise, hot to the touch,
frothing at the mouth, excessive salivation, or voiding its bladder. Desert tortoises shall not be
placed in a situation where they cannot maintain surface and core temperatures necessary to their
well-being. Desert tortoises shall be kept shaded at all times until it is safe to release them.
Ground temperatures are much hotter than air temperatures thus never place a desert tortoise on
unshaded ground. Removal of the upper layer of hot substrate would expose a cooler layer
below.
No desert tortoise shall be captured, moved, transported, released, or purposefully caused to
leave its burrow for whatever reason when the ground temperature is above 95 degrees F (35
degrees C). Temperature must be measured in the shade and protected from the wind at a
height of 2 inches (5 centimeters) above the ground. No desert tortoise shall be captured if
ground temperature is anticipated to exceed 95 degrees F (35 degrees C) before handling and
relocation can be completed. If the ground temperature exceeds 95 degrees F (35 degrees C)
during handling or processing, desert tortoises shall be kept shaded in an environment where
the ambient air temperatures do not exceed 91 degrees F (32.7 degrees C) and ground
temperature does not exceed 95 degrees F (35 degrees C). The desert tortoise shall not be
released until ground temperature at the release site declines to below 95 degrees F (35 degrees
C).
If a desert tortoise is found aboveground when these upper temperatures are exceeded and the
desert tortoise must be moved from harm's way, place the desert tortoise in a clean, unused
cardboard box or disinfected open plastic container, and keep it in a climate-controlled
environment (e.g., air conditioned vehicle or building) until the ambient air and ground
temperatures are below upper limits."

and then on bladder voiding:

"7.9. Desert Tortoise Urination and Hydration
Desert tortoises may void their bladder: 1) when first encountered, picked up, or carried; 2) the
longer you handle them; and (3) during drought conditions, which is also when water availability
is at its lowest. Since desert tortoises store water in their bladders, any loss of this fluid may
result in death (Averill-Murray 2002). Discourage bladder voiding by gently and slowly moving
the desert tortoise. If the tortoise does void, record on the data sheet the quantity, color, and
viscosity of the urine. If the desert tortoise has already been weighed, weigh it again to estimate
the amount of lost fluid. Avoid all unnecessary actions that may result in stress to the animal.
If the desert tortoise urinates, it should be rehydrated. To rehydrate, soak the desert tortoise at
the release location in a tub with a clean unused plastic disposable liner for a minimum of 10 to
20 minutes in a quiet protected area. Water level shall not be higher than the lower jaw of the
animal; the water temperature should be tepid. Desert tortoises must be soaked individually.
Weigh the desert tortoise before and after placing in water. Even if desert tortoises do not drink,
they can absorb water through their cloaca. Weighing the desert tortoise before and after placing
it in water will determine if the tortoise took in water (James Jarchow, veterinarian, pers.
comm.)."

I understand that it was in danger on the trail, perhaps a better idea might be to wait until it got to a safer place and flag down any approaching riders? They can get along pretty quick when it comes to it, and would soon be out of immediate danger.

Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Your response is totally typical of this forum.

If you trim a Cholla that flopped half over the trail, someone on here will post: "I observed your clippings, and could tell that you did not follow the Wackernuts Pruning Guide, Copyright 1888 by Random Bullshit Publishing."

And then go into a long description to educate all of the ignorant miscreants.

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Huh?!? Why so sensitive? Everyone knows Wackernuts Pruning Guide is the tits!

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

I use the Wackernuts Pruning Guide for many of my desert outings. In the appendix, they have the best turtle soup recipe. You need to carry a pot with you in the desert. When you pick the tortoise up, he dumps his water. You catch that in the pot and use it as soup starter. A few gila monster tongues and the root of the ocotillo, and you have a delicious broth in which to boil your tortoise.

thudd
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say 'toss in the dirty dildo for added spice' but they are endangered and should be protected.

envy
Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dirty ones yes but clean ones not so hard to find

DeepVI
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Holy fuck! Seriously 2WD? Since there's a Brit on this thread I'll put it to you. You're a right cunt. If this forum is sooooooo awful why are you here? I've already told once, but I guess I'll say it again for a whole other reason. FUCK OFF. No one needs your negative Nancy attitude.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Heheh! He said cunt!

The other thing that I find just a tad annoying is the proclivity of people of a certain age to call these things 'Turtles'.

A turtle is to a tortoise as a hippopotamus, (Greek: 'Horse of the river') is to a horse.

If the plural of Tortoise was "Tortoise", (like sheep is to sheep), we may not have this issue, but "Teenage Mutant Ninja Tortoises" doesn't roll off the tongue like the other...

Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DeepVI wrote:
Holy fuck! Seriously 2WD? Since there's a Brit on this thread I'll put it to you. You're a right cunt. If this forum is sooooooo awful why are you here? I've already told once, but I guess I'll say it again for a whole other reason. FUCK OFF. No one needs your negative Nancy attitude.
Because I guess I have the unrealistic expectation of actually having conversation with other people who have the same passion, without it turning into a lecture

And I have also said it before. Any time you want to make arrangements to tell me to fuck off, and call me a cunt to my face, I will be more than happy to make those arrangements!

Unlike you, I don't say shit to people on the internet, that I would not back up in person.

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not a lecture 2WD, just a way to try and prevent unnecessary killing of an iconic animal. You may have known about tortoises and their issues, although the fact that you don't know what they are properly called leads me to doubt that, but many might not. They may think it OK to move them, carefully or otherwise.
Get over it.

View next topic
View previous topic