24 September 2017 10:46:17 PDT (GMT -7)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have been wanting to post this for a while now, but this week was the final straw. As many of you know, I ride the Torts a lot, it's my backyard after all. I usually climb Upper Javelina to access the system, and over the years have helped with maintenance and redesigns, and done a fair amount of ongoing work here and there myself. I wasn't too keen initially on some of the rerouting we eventually did on the switchbacks up the first part of the climb, but came to realise they help a lot, and also help with water management. Since we did those, the trail has held up well, and has retained its difficulty.
This year I have started to notice gradual changes to the trail: a rock here, a small 'feature' there, as little by little, someone, or some people, have been sanitizing it to suit their abilities.
I have long been an opponent of this, as I feel that this trail has a character that should be left alone. It is challenging, and that is its charm. If you can't ride it, then keep working at it until you can or go the fuck somewhere else and ride some easier stuff. Don't try and turn it into a test of simple strength and stamina. Those things are fine, but with an added dose of of technical challenge, a trail is so much more interesting.
So this week I am riding up it and see 2 places where I had put in rock water bars above turns, that have stood the test of time for a couple of years, and kept the monsoons from washing out the trail below. Some muppet has moved them to one side of the trail and the trail surface below has washed out to the bedrock. Whoever has done this is a fucking moron. Stop it.
Please excuse the strength of my language, but I feel very strongly about this. I repeat, if you cannot ride a trail, then either go somewhere else, or learn to ride it. Above all, if you don't know how to change features without causing more damage, don't even think about it!

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you need some help, I'm almost your neighbor. Can do afternoon's. Been itching to see how our work held up.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Let me see how my week pans out Duncan, I am prepping another tour which goes out beginning November, so getting a little busy. I usually go up there early in the mornings, and thinking of stashing some tools up there so I can do a bit at a time whenever I can. Most of the work has held up well, but we've had a lot of rain there this year, so starting to wash out in places, especially where bars have been moved. You're over towards Vistoso right?

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ah si'. I have the kiddos in the am, so my time is limited to afternoons. Perhaps we can go for a ride and you can show me the problem areas, we can tag team them.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like a plan. I will probably take some tools up tomorrow AM and stash them, maybe do a little then, but then they'll be there at least. I'll try and get an afternoon some time this week too.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doing Honeybee tomorrow am. PM me your number and we can be more direct. Watch out for tortoises. Very Happy

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I got my tools up the hill early, then spent 6 hours either rebuilding or adding 10 water bars. Got up as far as the start of the switch backs we put in then my old bones got a little weary! Left the tools stashed so can go back and do more whenever.
I have to extend an apology to the mountain bikers who came thundering down when I was working. I was a bit "get orf my lawn" grouchy. I accused the guy leading, (another apology as I cannot remember your name if you're reading this) of going too fast and being out of control. He wasn't out of control, but I do think on a Sunday morning the group was going a little quick for the trail. Had I been about 10' further up, where I would have been obscured by a tree, and not left my bike and pack with a few tools a little uphill as a warning, things might have been different. As it was I had to scramble to get my stuff off the trail in a hurry. I can well see how some hikers, especially if they had ear buds in as so many do, might have been endangered. This part of Upper Javelina gets pretty busy with the Ritz trippers at this time of year, so please take care up there on a Sunday morning.
Ironic that all the hikers who came by, about a dozen groups, thanked me for the work. None of the bikers did!

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to Deep VI who came up and helped repair some of the rain damage yesterday. We worked on 3 of the turns up to the first saddle, and hopefully have reversed the erosion of those. Next rain storm will be the test! I forgot to take any pictures for the "before and after" shots!

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good work guys. Thanks.

rattlin_ridgelines
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm thinking the "sanitizing" the OP is referring to might well be the work done by the city of Marana trail crew as opposed to individuals. I was out today and ran across a few of them doing trail work on the lower part of upper javelina. I hadn't ridden out there since earlier this year, probably since they started working on wild mustang/lower javelina so hadn't seen any of the changes. They mentioned that they knew many weren't too happy with their work. I asked what the impetus for the work was and they said that when these trails were built they didn't have very good erosion control as well as something about a "better hike a bike experience and a better hiking experience"

It wou

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Glad they are getting up there to do stuff, but I think Duncan and I have pretty much covered most of the Upper Javelina climb already, at least as far as "erosion control" goes. I hope they are not making it too easy, and if Tom is reading this as I know he does sometimes, please tell your guys to go easy on making it too easy!
As for the stuff I was talking about originally, that was definitely nothing to do with erosion control as some of the larger rocks I had embedded a couple of years ago that were doing a good job keeping too much water off the trail bed had been very physically moved right off the trail in places. The result was very bad erosion in the trail beds that we have now reversed.

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I surprised at how some of those large rocks (especially up on wild mustang) were just totally taken out. I would think that really lead to some erosion issues as water just funnels right down the trail.

Thanks for the work up there!

View next topic
View previous topic