19 September 2017 04:36:08 PDT (GMT -7)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have been coming to this site for several years now, and when I first started visiting, this was a vibrant community with a lot of good material. I was sick for a year and did not come here much at all during that time, and when I returned more frequently, things had nosedived spectacularly.

What happened? Where did everyone go? Did another site usurp this one, and if so, which? It is a shame since this site had a bit of something for all. Did everyone stop riding? I certainly see fewer riders out on the trails I ride these days. Maybe that's just because I ride up in the Torts almost always!

Inquiring minds need to know!

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just came back to this and a huge 19 people have read this post, but no light has been thrown on the questions! Has everyone lost the power of type?

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good question, Rockerc - I've been wondering about this myself.

Riders are out there: The Facebooks has a lot of Tucson riding groups and there's Meetup groups. Seems like folks are turning to those venues to post rides, but not sure where people are talking about riding ...

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It is odd, and if anyone could throw some light on it it would be you Martha! I know Torca is more active now, but there's no forum section there, and SDMB likewise.
I can't imagine people are getting their MTB jollies at MTBR, personally I never go there any more, not even for the AZ forum. But perhaps I am wrong.
I do miss the back and forth and camaraderie we used to enjoy here. Hopefully it may return altho I am not going to hold my breath!

I am also surprised that there are not better trail maps of the area available anywhere. Trail systems are increasing annually, yet both TORCA and SDMB have trail guide sections that are still very incomplete and often out of date. SDMB are still using some of my 'stolen' stuff I posted up here originally, and I know that is out of date with the access issues we have had in the Torts lately, and with the completion of Ridgeline.
Anyone visiting the area looking for good places to ride will not have all options available to them if they go solely by what is available on the local websites. Tucson has a LOT more to offer and there is a yawning gap in available current information.
C'mon all 2 dozen of you that might be reading this! Get with it and get in the game!

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just as I posted the last message, I looked to the left and saw that the latest member is 'Oldgoat' and he has been that for as long as I can remember. It also says that there are 194 people waiting to join... maybe that's the new blood we need?

Who are the mods here now?

Hello?

HELLO???

Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

rockerc - I am a relatively new member to this forum and I found this site when I was googling for trail information on the Tort trail system. You are absolutely correct about the lack of good and current local trail information. Initially I did find info on this site I hadn't seen elsewhere, but as you have pointed out, the site is pretty stagnant. I am as much to blame because I tend to enjoy reading others posts, but don't post myself.

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Tallboy, I think the term "pretty stagnant" is an understatement! It's like the Marie Celeste in here! I have tried reaching out to any mods, but there doesn't seem to be anyone driving this boat any more...

I wonder what it would take to get into the wheelhouse?

Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

hell just make a simple comments about improper trail maintenance, maybe 26 vs 27.5 vs 29, tell Jobie how cute he looks in his cycling shorts, these things usually stir the pot and livens things up a little. oh! don't forget to mention turtles while your at it.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

TURTLES!!!

Where?!?

Don't touch the little swine! They do cause massive trail erosion tho, so it's hard not to...

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

riding bikes was 2015. Where's the wingsuit forum? We need wingsuits.

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

It does amaze me that there are an overwhelming number of people that read but take no part in anything. It did not use to be that way, at least not to such a degree.
Am I just being an old curmudgeon by even wondering whether this is another example of the entitled, instant gratification type of mindset that is engineered by the 'get your kicks and move on' attitude of today? No thought or interest in going deeper into the community? maybe even giving back a little?

No, that could never be! I'm just an old curmudgeon...

Get that Tortoise off my Lawn!!!

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Rockerc. I bet you remember your mum telling you to "write a letter to your grandmum. It'll mean so much to her." We, flash forward to 2016. It's snapchat. No one picks up a pen and paper, not even email. It's the fewer words the better. We are going back to pictographs. I wouldn't say it's the "entitled, instant gratification type of mindset". It's merely the next generation. We created this by replacing the the human contact and communication lessons with another piece of technology.

I'm a firm believer that technology isolates us from our environment; for better or for worse.

BikerDodd
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

To myself and a few of the people I still talk to, it's not the website, its the mtb community. My perspective is the scene grew so quickly it flooded. Everything from riding, trail work, bike shops and ego's. The riding just isn't fun anymore. We can't go ride a trail without seeing a hundred b-lines because people are trying to go faster top to bottom, trails getting cleaned out to be easier to ride. Then we all start getting butt hurt when people don't like it. No one want's to be involved in actually improving anymore. I'm not pointing fingers, we're all guilty. As for myself, my fix was to nearly give up. I only ride about once or twice a month now. My goal was to be a professional rider. Not on a big scale, just a small time, go race bootleg canyon level. And there were actually people who were trying to force me into giving up. So here's to all of you. That's just for me, go talk with anyone who has been riding in this town for a while. We all have our reasons of trying to have fun again. So, again just my opinion, stop being a bunch of bitches. Go have fun again. I'm as guilty as anyone else.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

I hear what you say BD. I am getting older now as I get ready to kiss my 7th decade on the lips, but I must say that even after about 55 years riding on 2 wheels of all kinds, my passion is still very much alive.
As for riding bicycles off road, I have been doing that for about the same length of time, altho on dedicated MTBs for somewhat less. When I was younger, I would strip off all extraneous crap from my bike and ride and jump it wherever there was dirt. When I first saw a picture of a guy riding a fat tired bike on the West Highland Way in Scotland back in the early 80s I was bitten once again and immediately tried out one for myself. Since then I have never been without at least one MTB in my garage, and sometimes more.
Sometimes I don't feel quite as enthusiastic about going out for a ride, but when I push myself I am never disappointed. Often when I plan a ride for the next day, I go to sleep thinking about how it will feel, and it always feels good! It is something for me about getting out into the wild and pushing on to do something I may not have done before. To see some things I may not have seen before.
When I still lived in the UK, I used to race sometimes in a National Series, but quite frankly it was not for me. I was always much older than most people in my class, and with my work schedule I could never get fit enough to compete properly. The pain was too intense sometimes, and I have never been that much of a masochist! Some races were fun tho, especially the more relaxed ones.
Now, for me, it is all about the experience, and by that I mean a bit of everything: the climbs, the descents, the trail maintenance to keep them interesting, and meeting like-minded people en route. Sadly, that does not seem to happen as much any more. It seems that many riders are 'content' to stay on the easier flowy trails that are nice as a break now and then, but could not keep my passion alive if that is all I did. Personally I like to get up into places that may not have seen a rider for months or indeed ever. To me that is a big part of what mountain biking is all about, but I am not at all sure that many younger riders feel anything like that same way.
The sound and feel of my tires scrunching on some dirt is a powerful drug...

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Really, it's FB. With FB, you get pics and chat from all your still-very-enthusiastic riders, all day, instantly. And actually, I've been either riding, or playing my guitar, or working on cool projects so much that I'm not giving much time to the FB-usurped forums.

http://www.youtube.com/user/patrel

http://www.reverbnation.com/kaleidoscopesundae

http://soundcloud.com/patrick-shannon-mckiernan

One bag of quikcrete at a time 

View next topic
View previous topic