19 September 2017 04:37:32 PDT (GMT -7)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Evil_Patrick
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

So, (anyone/everyone -- pitch in here if you have an opinion to share).

Iím not trying to poo poo an event that Iíve been looking forward to for the last year, but after basically a week straight of rain, including a forecast that shows that rain continuing through the night/early morning before the event, should we be unleashing something on the order of 100 riders onto the AZT for the Jamboree? Iím guessing that there will be some responses along the lines of ďitíll be fine, the soil doesnít turn to mudĒ, or ďthe soil is resilient and this wonít be a problemĒ. But really? Don't get mad at me for caring!

I sure wish there was a rain-date for this one. I don't want to be one of the schmucks that leaves ruts.

http://www.youtube.com/user/patrel

http://www.reverbnation.com/kaleidoscopesundae

http://soundcloud.com/patrick-shannon-mckiernan

One bag of quikcrete at a time 
AZRumblefish
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Is it this weekend? Its supposed to pour Thursday and Friday....not Saturday. I usually at least go to where I want to ride if its questionable.....With the way it is here, AZT could get 3/4" and 50 year could be dry. I would hope the organizers send someone out to check trail conditions prior to. It might be a game time decision.
On a side note, what do they do in the PNW where it rains all the time? Do they just accept that the trails will get thrashed? You'd never get to ride if you didn't ride wet trails.....

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

AZRumblefish wrote:

On a side note, what do they do in the PNW where it rains all the time? Do they just accept that the trails will get thrashed? You'd never get to ride if you didn't ride wet trails.....

My wife keeps pushing me to move to the PNW, but in the research I have done, much of the year is stay off the trail season for just that reason. That is why I love it here so much! Good thing here is that if it does rain, it usually dries out a whole hell of a lot quicker than anywhere else. Where the trail bed is clay, it takes longer obviously. Not sure of all the makeup where this ride is supposed to occur, but I do know that the part I have done is quik-dry...

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

The southeast actually has the rainiest weather in the US and being from Louisiana, I can tell you it sucks. We'd always be posting on forums...trail check...too wet?...trail check. It was miserable. You ended up having to do most of your riding on the road if you wanted to get on 2 wheels.

http://www.livescience.com/1558-study-reveals-top-10-wettest-cities.html

Sometimes though, let's be honest, you just bit the bullet and played in the mud. But of course, there was always trail damage from it. It's something we lived with.

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In the Uk it was horrible Will. Mud on mud on mud for a lot of the time. When we first started riding over there in the 80s, riding was limited to what were called Bridleways, which essentially were open to non-motorised traffic, ie. horses. Those bastards rode along the trails rain or shine, and in places you could sink to your hubs in mud and horse poop. When it dried out it really put your suspension to full use... only that had not been invented yet. That's why all my front teef are chipped...

Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lets see a gully washer and a major snow dump in the hills.

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

In the northeast trail riding became non occurring come the winter months, November thru March. Only those local to the trails ventured onto the trails. It wasnt worth the mud slop and freezing temps to travel to the trails. Hence more road riding as long as it was dry and not too salty.
One year in the early nineties we had a very mild winter with temps in the 40s and 50s. This brought out every Tom, Dick and Jane that got a bike for xmas. End result was extensive trail damage and ultimately many a trail closure for good.
Most race/event promoters wouldn't even consider cancelling/postponing.
Saw it here in 06, 07 when it rained for two days straight leading into the 24hr
Race. That trail never quite recovered from that.
Another example is the honeybee trail. A once pristine, although illegal, secret trail is now the abused darling/bitch of Tucson. No one cares and every one rides. Very, very few people care. Those that do are here posting their concern. The others are out riding.

Tallboy2
Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

I won't go out if I feel that there maybe muddy trails. Trail damage is the biggie, but I also don't like riding in mud and would like to avoid the bike clean-up (basically a complete tear down).
erict - Just curious, I ride the honeybee trail a lot and don't know what you mean by it being 1) illegal, and 2) being abused. I know it is on State Trust land, but I have a permit for that.

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

I am not even sure any more what the Honeybee Trail actually is! There are so many trails up that way that have sprung up in the last couple of years that don't seem to have been planned/sanctioned or anything. I know some of the people who claim they 'built' a lot of the systems out there, but I blame the cows... Maus was just a cow trail that was gradually ridden in, and I blame myself in part for promoting it more on this site and on the rides I used to lead up that way. Still a great little trail tho. Sadly does not really help anything now since Como has been closed off tho.

Now if all those energies were put into helping get some of the planned trails built higher up and elsewhere in the Torts, even that fabled route up on the South or West sides... we can but dream...

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tallboy2 wrote:

erict - Just curious, I ride the honeybee trail a lot and don't know what you mean by it being 1) illegal, and 2) being abused. I know it is on State Trust land, but I have a permit for that.

Technically, the recent trails on Honeybee are "illegal" in a couple of different ways:
State Land isn't public land, it's not meant for recreational use beyond hunting (for the most part). Ranchers can lease the land for running cows on it
People can be on State Land if they have a permit or hunting license, and are restricted to traveling on existing trails only (the ones made by cows) ...
No trail building has been allowed/sanctioned by the State Land Dept in these parts in forever (50Yr Trail proper - just the corridor of trail where the brown signs are posted - is legit; all the other super fun stuff on State Land there is less than legit, "technically").

So. Even though we're not "supposed" to ride in Honeybee, we all do, and that's fine/encouraged by me personally. There's practically zero enforcement of State Land use issues (except for 24HOP/Willow Springs - the deputy out there is diligent!).

My hope is that Honeybee turns in to a Fantasy Island in the way that FI is now nationally known & loved & used by a ton of riders to the point it's "impossible" to get rid of the trails for development.

Honeybee needs a lot of riders for it to continue to be Honeybee, and not a Rancho Vistoso development.

TORCA
Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="mlemen"]
Tallboy2 wrote:

My hope is that Honeybee turns in to a Fantasy Island in the way that FI is now nationally known & loved & used by a ton of riders to the point it's "impossible" to get rid of the trails for development.

Honeybee needs a lot of riders for it to continue to be Honeybee, and not a Rancho Vistoso development.

This is a good point. We were out there the other day and couldn't help but ask ourselves "How long before this area is turned into a resort?". It's important to get involved if you want to sustain these trails as well as other great trails. People will be pissed when it's turned into a theme park and the pain of the regret will be tremendous for saying, "I should have played a bigger role in keeping this resource". Get involved people. There's no voice if you're not involved. Period.

View next topic
View previous topic