Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

I Love Robles Pass!
I grew up there, around '74 my mom built her 1st house just north east of the stone house. It's a U shaped spanish style adobe along Ajo near Old Ajo. I enjoyed riding my go cart between Ajo & Old Ajo and discovering the strange dried up riparian area just south of the eastern portion of Old Ajo. There was a well there so I guess long ago it was a cienega.

I really like the rocky desert out on the west side, the liken is pretty on the rocks, and the craggy mountains make for scenic views any time of day. Robles pass has such a varied terrain I think it's great for anyone. The worst thing about Robles is the Parking. There are only a few hidden parking lots, most on the Invington side. One option is the park at the south of the creosote trail.

The creosote trail is a nice easy ride until you get to Rocky 13 but I love this climb as I can do it no dabs.
Rocky 13 gives access to the camaro loop which is a really nice wider trail made for hand cycles. Look for the old rusty car along the trail.
Bitter sweet is a fun rocky climb or descent, really fun both ways. I can't actually climb it with out a little hike a bike from the camaro side but I'm working on it.
The Boulder Belt is another challenging trail that I enjoy but it's not so easy for me to get my riding partners enthused about it's Chunder.
The cascabel loop is an easy mostly flat loop on the west side of the trail system that connects to the Bitter Sweet trail it has one of the few parking lots with parking for around 5 cars.
At the top of The Boulder Belt we have the Flight Path Loop. I enjoy showing friends what a Tuscon Trail is like (Pure Hike a Bike for me) but the views are worth it, and Hans Ray could ride it. There is some interesting urban art work on display for the Kennedy Park along the trail.

We need more parking on the Ajo side. Could someone at the meetings with the county bring this up?

Last edited by JodyM2 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:28 am; edited 2 times in total
SDMB_org
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Parking issues are definitely on the county's radar, as is making both culverts taller. Long and complex processes...

Trails: Build, Ride, Protect - Join us For monthly Trail Maintenance and Group Rides.

www.sdmb.org 

View next topic
View previous topic