24 September 2017 10:41:33 PDT (GMT -7)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I rode Honey Bee the other day we rode out to a windmill and headed west, we came to two more windmills along the trail then got into the Tortolitas we rode for miles on a sweet rocky trail. After a few miles a single speed rider caught up to us and said the Como gate wast just a ways away. We turned around it was getting late and we rode for quite a while. Can anyone tell me the name of the trail that goes from Honey Bee to the Torts? Someone told me it looked like Wild Burro, but I'm sceptical. Looking at the map it's hard to understand but it looks like ridge line goes out that way (East).

Last edited by JodyM2 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
erict
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tis not a trail but a road intermingled with some single track that brings you over to ridegeline/goat coral loop in the torts proper. Como is actually Maus trail that brings you to another windmill which would be an out and back since the descent down the other side, cougar canyon road to como road, is now off limits. Hopefully it wasnt too overrun for you. It's truly a nice ride.

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

So much good stuff up there! Tis also a shame that Ridgeline does not connect with the top of Maus as was originally planned by the City... That would have opened a great loop now that Como access is denied. Let's hope ongoing discussions on new access on that side bear fruit.

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's right Chris! Even if the trail would have connected to the road that leads into saguaro ranch would have been nice too. Although all single track would have been ideal.

Tallboy2
Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

The picture of the windmill looks like the one at the south end of the Maus trail. If you continue heading down (south"ish") from the windmill you would be riding old jeep trails, and if you keep going down you would end up at Cougar/Como Rd, which goes through private property and is no longer approved for access. The MTBProject website has a map of the area, http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/5400693, but doesn't show the Maus trail. I copied this map and modified it to show trail names and where the windmill is that you took the picture of. I believe it was at the south end of Maus.

I don't agree with the arrows that the map shows for the Honeybee Loop. As far as I know it is not directional, and is a great ride in either direction.

Last edited by Tallboy2 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have a feeling that the windmill in the photo is the western windmill because we did not have to back track. The trail continued on and got rocky & technical but rideable. So is there no name for the yellow trail in the map?
Correction Now I've seen the other Windmill it does not have a fan.
So I believe there is another trail into Como gate from the end of the MAUS Trail. Can anyone confirm this?

Oh the Map says it's Ridgeline but it seems more line a canyon than a ridgeline.

Last edited by JodyM2 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tallboy2
Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The yellow trail is part gravel rd and jeep trail that gets you to the trail head for the Ridgeline Loop. Going in you climb up to a saddle and then drop way down to the trail head.

AZRumblefish
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you rode this from the Dove Mtn CC parking lot, whats the best way to ride? I don't mind pushing or HAB if I get to have fun at some point. I use the Trailforks app....just wondering which way is more fun.

JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I believe there is a problem with the HOA & homeowners in the area so we need to ride in from Honey Bee. It's really odd looking around for the trail name, I found lots of hiking sites advertising it for hiking. Do hikers still have access? I'd recommend the ride from Honey Bee it was fast & flowie even if it was quite smooth. It's less than 9 Mi and they are almost like road miles. I really enjoyed the connector road there were plenty of technical sections to keep things interesting but it was mostly rideable.

TORCA
Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jody, you were close to the connector for ridgeline. One of the windmills(which appears tbe the one you were at) has a huge tall(8-9ft tall) water tank. The second one(to the North) is the connector to Badlands. From the one you took the picture at, there is a dirt road that hits some single track that will take you out to(up to) ridgeline. Mike and Jody, join us on Sat for our monthly social ride(Mike, if you're not working) and we'll show you around.

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jody, ridegeline is actually in wild burro canyon which goes from dove mtn blvd
North thru the two ridges. The northern trailhead starts at wild burro windmill just south of the goat corral. Google earth goat corral, ov, az and you'll see the structure. The mill in your picture is crows mill and cougar mill is at the top of cougar canyon road/ beginning of maus heading north. Check with rockerc on the trails out of dove mtn. As for honeybee It is ridden either cw or ccw whatever you desire. Same with the cochie/badlands loop.

JodyM2
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the clarification the map showed ridgeline when I moused over the yellow trail. I guess I'll figure this out this weekend, Sat. with TORCA & I'm scheduled to ride with my 'ol friends on Sun maybe I'll take them to badlands.

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am buried up at the S'bowl for a couple of weeks or I would come and show you all in person!

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I rode the Tortolitas today with TORCA we went up a different way from how I went up to the Como gate

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure which way you went, but Alamo Spring is at Lunch Overlook in Wild Burro Canyon. From where these pictures were taken, you can drop down to the Ritz and the Wild Burro TH by taking Alamo Spring trail, which is a good rideable stretch, followed by the Alamo Spur, which is steep, rocky and very difficult. Lot of it is rideable tho if you have some pads and a death wish. I often come up the Spur to access that end of the Torts, Ridgeline etc, and it is a short sharp HAB mostly. I do want to improve it somewhat, and have been looking at ways of doing that. The Marana Town trail crew told me they are looking at making some improvements to it too, and that will be about the best way to access Ridgeline without going the long way up Upper Javelina, Wild Mustang etc.

View next topic
View previous topic