19 September 2017 04:38:48 PDT (GMT -7)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's the one ej, I am glad you are happy. Please do not open it again. This may seem petty to you, but B lines such as this are the thin end of the wedge in my opinion. They encourage others to do the same, as I, and I am sure many others, have seen many times elsewhere. They are unsightly, illegal, don't help with drainage, and encourage people who may not know the trail conditions to go faster than appropriate.
I think you've been listening to that Bowie song a little too much. 5 Years is stuck on your eyes...

Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

But here is the argument, how long does a "b-line" have to be around before it is considered an alternate route to the trail? That's my issue with that one, it had been around forever, like 5 years forever, and some guys just came and closed it and now it is law?

The only reason, that corner was not re-worked into one of the beautiful Martin berms is because we had that line, and now we have to settle for a poor excuse of what could have been done.

It takes a nice flow, regardless of how fast you want to go and turns it into stop and go. And if we want to talk about the hikers, they used that line.

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The reason that was not worked into one of those beautiful berms, of which I built a couple personally, was because it was such a tight turn. The trail does not go straight on where you like to go straight on, as it does in several other places that I have closed off in the past. Max and I started closing some B lines up there about 6 years ago, flagging them with signs to not continue using them. I only remember this particular line about 2 or 3 years ago, and started closing it then. The fact that hikers use it sometimes is because it became so evident thru use and they do not know any better. That has zero bearing on this matter.
I am only taking the stand that I am because I am worried about this part of the trail seeing use as a straight ahead downhill run, and many have started using it as this. This has caused inordinate wear on the trail surface, and been the cause of some of the drainage problems we have seen. Even those beautiful berms have caused their share of drainage problems, and that is why we have seen differing water courses opening up ruts into the bedrock lower down where they were not before.
Usage by hikers will only increase as anyone with half a brain and a set of working eyes will be able to see down below where hundreds of new houses are springing up, and this will bring even more up that way. I cannot imagine why you cannot see that if the trail continues to be used as a DH course, and hiker usage increases, there will be inevitable issues arising between the two sets of trail users. You might be a more responsible and skilled rider, but many are not ready for the challenges thrown up on UJT. This can only end badly for us I fear, and I for one do not wish to lose our access to one of the most beautiful and challenging trails in this area.

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We've had the first heavy rain of the season up on UJ, about a half inch at the weekend, and I am pleased to say the trail is in very good shape. There is almost no erosion of the trail bed, and all those pesky runoff channels have done the job of keeping the water from gouging into the surface. The worst of any damage, altho it is minimal, is in a couple of places where it is rockier up above the Golf Club saddle. A couple of places have some short narrow channels cut out, but nothing to write home about.
From experience up there over the years, this amount of rain would have done a lot more damage before this recent work was done.

View next topic
View previous topic